• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Most Practical low dollar Engine/Transmission swap

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think my assumptions, based on history, will be pretty spot on.

How many folks will keep restore and spend $20,000 plus to keep a vic rolling? very few, I mean, an EB could be used as a rock crawler before it became a collectors item. My dads 2010 vic is only getting 21 mpg, nice power, but gearing tire size, aerodynamics can all easily explain your thought an EB would get 6mpg more. It won't.

If what you say is true and the 4.6 was a thing, why are not more EB's using them? That says it all. EB owners want the easy cheap and thats why the 5.0 5.7 was/is so popular. The one I heard of is using a 4.6 because thats what they had in the junkyard for cheap.

To your 351. If you drop to 31 tires, no lift, correct gearing, and a 2 barrel carb, I submit you could push hi teens.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Isn't the 4.6L Crown Vic a modular bolt pattern? So going that route would mean new transmission too right?

Tim

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yep, so unless you want to fab all new stuff, i know of no bolt on adapter 4.6 to any usable tranny and d20 style transfer.

this engine was discussed here 10-15 years ago, and no one thought it a good idea.

do what makes you happy though./

zero replacement for displacement. Thats why they went back to big v8 on a raptor, and jeep has a 392.

Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I guess you could use the modular bell M5ODR2 from the f150's. I'm not up on the modular stuff.

Tim

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
The 4R70W and 4R75W automatic came stock in various Ford vehicles behind the modular V8. I had one behind the 4.6 mod motor in a 1998 Expedition that I owned for awhile. It's possible that the adapter sold by Advance Adapters for the 4R70W to Dana 20 will work.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I can't NOT respond! :)
Here's a quote from jckys:

" I still have no idea why anyone would want a 600hp EB. They are designed to access locations almost nothing else can while being safe and,comfortable on the roads. A hot rod engine would frustrate those goals. The EB was a brilliant design in '66 and I think with minimal updated parts they are still outstanding."

You o b v I o u s l y have never gone where I try to go! :)

I have over 600hp and could actually use more- really I could. Frustrate my goals??? Really???

Not for making it to Safeway or the bakery but for super deep, heavy, wet snow (which I haven't even done this year yet) and super soft sand dunes you aren't going far unless you can turn the tires.

Stick 40"s on a vehicle with 600hp and you swear you were running 26" tires with 200hp. There is no safety issue here...HP in a 4WD has absolutely nothing to do with going 140. People who don't wheel in different areas seem to be clueless about hp & torque needs when off road in non-typical situations. Hear a claim like this every month it seems like! lol

nvrstuk

Contributor
"I have too much horsepower", said no one, ever. ;)
Especially a 4wd, big tired, tons of extra weight with necessary extras like winch, bumpers, rock ski's, updated trannys & t-cases, roll cages, etc, etc where rolling RESISTANCE is second to none. :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A fox body mustang with a pushrod 5.0 gets about the same economy as a fox body mustang with a 4.6 engine. Comparable vehicles. Comparing a crown vic economy to a Bronco, different vehicles that are not comparable.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I do enjoy the fact that I get more mpg with over 600hp than most 302's that crank out 140. Everybody seems to talk about smiles per mile. :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Mostly as a result of police cars there are millions of 4.6 engines here and millions more around the world. They won't disappear any time soon. There were a lot of assumptions in the above posts, mostly all wrong. My 351 is essentially new with hundreds of thousands of miles left in it. I don't NEED a different engine. The fuel economy of a similar weight P71 is about 6 MPG better than my EB. EFI is part of that, larger tires and a miserable lack of stream lining is the rest. True EFI is difficult and expensive in a 351. So TB injection is the only practical way. The 351 was expensive to build and 2.8s are so cheap I wouldn't bother. I can get one for about $800. The BS about 600 HP still makes no sense. A P71 will do 140 with 250 HP and I don't want to go that fast without good reason. In an EB it would be suicidal.
Here we go again... inexperienced people that haven't driven or wheeled an EB with 600hp telling those that have & do drive them every day - what to expect, there pitfalls and why nobody would want one. Just shaking my head...again.

Assuming I or anyone else I know anyway, that has 600hp or close to it wants or needs to do "140" is what proves you are totally clueless why 600hp in a Bronco is so useful.

Not sorry but don't assum if you've never done it or needed to do it. Nothing to do with max speed.