• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Multimeter

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Looking for some suggestions for a good, cheap multimeter. I have used several Flukes and like them a lot, but I would rather not drop that kind of coin since I am not going to be using it much. Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I have a cheap no-name DVM that I got at Ace Hardware in one of there $5 tool bins. I keep it in the Bronco tool box. Used it a couple times, and it works great for it's intended use. I also have a Keithley that I used to use for work and is now in my garage tool box. Kinda on a par with a Fluke as far as accuracy.

I've seen DVMs in all price ranges. In Phoenix, there is a Frys Electronics that carries a huge assortment of meters. Also check out Radio Shack. The two things which drive up the price are accuracy and MTBF. You should be able to get a full fuction DVM for general home use for around $20

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I bought one from Sears. Nice unit and not to expensive.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A cheap meter is fine for automotive work but I suggest you get one with a thermocouple for measuring temps.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a lot of multimeters..but I have to say the one I like the most of late is a very comapct model that includes the 'amp clamps' that I bought for about 70 bucks at my local electrical suppy.

The thermocouple option is 'nice to have', but frankly, with what a decent non-contact IR thermometer gun goes for these days, to me that is the better way to go.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Been using meters for over 40 years and bought a Fluke for home after I retired. Just my opinion, but worth every penny. You pick them up on E-Bay fairly reasonable. You will use it more than you think, not just for working on the Bronco.

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
I got a craftsman one from sears about two years ago for about $20, works great and if you blow it, it's not a big deal.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The cheapest one you can find will do almost everything you need. If you need high-current, you can buy an adapter. If you need temperature, a handheld IR thermometer can be had new for less than $30. You won't need true-RMS.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of cheap options available. I actually like my old analog meter for trouble shooting where you are just looking for an approximate voltage, current, or resistance vs an actual value. The meter moves imediatly and gives you a good indication without having to read a digital dispaly and see if its reading .1234 Volts or 12.34 Volts.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got the cheap craftsman at the house but I long for the Flukes I use at work. Diode check is extremely useful for finding a short, not to mention checking diodes...

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Go with how much you want to spend. For $20 buy 2 of them. Simple continuity/volt check..... as cheap as you want to be.