• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mustang ecu

gambling209

I am in the process of making a stand alone harness for my bronco out of a mustang speed density harness. The reason for speed density is i have a few of these computers and my motor is just an explorer motor with a mustang H.O cam. My question is: is there a difference in SD computers like there is in mass air computers. Meaning can i just swap to different mustang SD computers without changing anything else. I know you can’t with mass air (auto verse man). I have a couple DA1 and DC computers. Also mass air computers are getting harder to get and SD are not.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Speed Density was batch-fire with just the ignition, correct? So the fuel injectors fire in the cam firing order sequence?
If that's the case then your fueling will be off by a bit too, because the HO and SD cams use different firing orders.

Other than that one question, I don't have any insight as to their interchangeability among themselves.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
gambling209

gambling209

No on firing. Mustang up to 89 were speed density. During the 89 model year they switched over to mass air. The cams are the same. You can add mass air to a SD harness. Just need plug, wiring, and mass air computer. My computers will work fine with my setup. Question is if i go from one computer to the other do i have to change anything. You do on mass air because of wiring differences.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I assume there are differences between the auto and stick transmissions. I know there is on the Mass Air cars. One or two wires bit I've read getting those wrong will burn the ECM.

Thought I had a wiring diagram bit I can't find it.

Tim

OP
OP
gambling209

gambling209

I assume there are differences between the auto and stick transmissions. I know there is on the Mass Air cars. One or two wires bit I've read getting those wrong will burn the ECM.

Thought I had a wiring diagram bit I can't find it.

Tim
Thats what I’m talking about. The difference for mass air is in the O2 harness. Different pins on computer get power through that harness. I know the SD O2 harness is different than the mass air. So I don’t know if its the same. Not sure SD O2 harnesses differ from each other. Not a lot of SD info. Everybody wants mass air

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Truck speed density was batch fire, car was still sequential. Even on speed density.
Don't know much else about different speed density computers.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I am in the process of making a stand alone harness for my bronco out of a mustang speed density harness. The reason for speed density is i have a few of these computers and my motor is just an explorer motor with a mustang H.O cam. My question is: is there a difference in SD computers like there is in mass air computers. Meaning can i just swap to different mustang SD computers without changing anything else. I know you can’t with mass air (auto verse man). I have a couple DA1 and DC computers. Also mass air computers are getting harder to get and SD are not.

You can still buy Mass Air computers off ebay, etc. You can get the already refurbished, or change the capacitors yourself. Very easy to do if you have a soldering iron.

OP
OP
gambling209

gambling209

Yes you can still buy them. They are around 200 apiece. I have a couple fox mustangs that run them and have changed the capacitors in them. The last couple speed density computers i bought were $25 apiece.