• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mustang EFI on 351W ??

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Alright, I've read as much info as I can find regarding this
But I'm still confused

My EB currently has a 1990 5.0 from a mustang (installed in 1999 by me ). That now has a burnt valve and lots of blow by

I picked up a 351W , one owner with 95K miles , heard it run before I pulled it .

I've got the correct flywheel and bearing to hook it to my NV3550 and the intake manifold adapter to use the mustang upper intake on the 351

I'm still confused as to exactly what I need to do with the dizzy wiring to match it to the existing stang harness

As far as I understand , that's the only wiring mod I need to make for this to run ?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure what you mean. The distributor has to be a 351 model, with the proper gear for that type of cam (roller or flat-tappet in this 351?) but the wiring is the same. That distributor should have come with the engine, correct?

Same should be true for the spark plug firing order. Your 351 uses the order that all 351's had, which is 13726548. Your semi-newer 302/5.0 would have had the same order I believe.

Earlier 302's (like the one that would have come with your truck originally) were the older 302 firing order of 15426378, but I'm pretty sure that by the early '80's they had changed to what is now called the "HO" firing order, but which is just the standard 351 firing order as shown above.

Is that what you were referring to? Or is it something like your 351 has a remote TFI module instead of one mounted on the distributor?

Anyway, if I'm off on my years for when the 302's had the updated firing order, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a nice low-mileage 351 too by the way. Nice score.
What year is it?

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No wiring needed. Just get a 351W distributor with the right gear for the cam in the engine (flat tappet or roller). Needs to be an EFI distributor. Has to be a 351 distributor, the hole in the block is slightly larger and the oil pump drive is also larger.

That should be all you need. And that is just plug and play.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
What they said, but you'll need to run the same grey TFI module that your Mustang 5.0 system has now.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
What year 351W? If the dizzy has the pigtail coming off it to go to a remote TFI it will not work with your current harness or ECM however it will work with a 94-95 mustang harness and ECM. I ran into this with my 96 351W and ended up going with a 94-95 harness and ECM.

I should be up and running soon.

Tim

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I have a similar setup. I used the FRPP harness ('93 Mustang) on my '96 5.8l. Dizzy is from an '89 F250 w/5.8. I had to change the gear to match the roller cam. If you don't have a roller cam then you shouldn't need to change the gear. The TFI module is not remote, it's mounted to the dizzy like the 89-93 Mustang 5.0 so your wiring should plug right in. I have a spare TFI in case it fails. When I did the swap, no one had yet figured out the remote TFI wiring and I didn't want to spend the time to figure it out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A pigtail on the distributor does not always mean a remote TFI, it could be a duraspark. You do have to know what you are working with.

In short, the vintage mustang engine you are working with, you want a distributor mounted TFI.

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
The 351 W is a 1996 from a 15 passenger van

I had planned on just leaving the stock 351 dizzy in the 351

Most of the stuff I read seemed to indicate that I could replace the van upper intake with the mustang upper using BCs adapter and use my existing mustang harness and computer ?

Cause I let the computer go with the van
Should I have kept that ?
The van 351 is/was a speed density and everything I've read indicated I could swap the mustang MAF harness and computer and upper intake onto the 351?

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
459a6af85c7e3c085aa2dc19280ee3f9.jpg

1996 351 dizzy

The 1990 mustang harness won't plug on to the 351 van dizzy

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
That's for a remote mount TFI. You need a distributor from a 1st gen lightning or the likes with the TFI mounted on the distributor like the Mustang piece.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
96 van is what I started with as well. You can't use the stock 96 van distributor and remote TFI with the 90 harness and computer. The 96 distributor will work with a 94-95 mustang setup only.

Yes the van was speed density and little to no support for the ECU per EFI_Guy. The engine don't know if it's mass air or SD so converting it is as easy as putting the mustang harness on it and running the mustang ECU along with the BC adapter and different/compatable TFI mounted distributor.

BC adapter is used when using a stock 351 EFI truck lower manifold and a stock EFI 5.0 upper. So that should be all you need.

I did things the hard way and converted the van harness to mass air i.e. turned it into a 94-95 harness and will be running a 94-95 ECU. I went GT40 upper and lower intakes.

Tim

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
That's for a remote mount TFI. You need a distributor from a 1st gen lightning or the likes with the TFI mounted on the distributor like the Mustang piece.

Any part numbers or whatnot so I can find one ?
And it will plug into the stock 5.0 MAF mustang harness ?

I thought i read some info on adapting the remote TFI harness to the mustang harness but can't find the thread now

Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I think any 88-93 5.8L stock dizzy will work with a gear swap (someone else can confirm). First gen Lightning dizzy too but it needs a gear change as well as they were not rollers. $90 bucks and swap the gear you have from the 96 dizzy.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you look at that link I posted at the top of this page, it is for a steel gear. No gear swap needed if you start with the correct distributor.

Often when you are going through the parts store options you will see they offer steel or cast gear in years that they were not originally an option.

FD19
New
Includes Cap And Rotor
Steel Gear
Quantity Per Vehicle: 1

FD14
New
Includes Cap And Rotor
With Cast Iron Gear
Quantity Per Vehicle: 1

Both are listed as available for an '89 F250 351W

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
If you want to keep the remote TFI do a Google search for "351w remote tfi to mustang harness" and you will get lots of hits including from here.