• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Air Conditioning story...

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So that’s it, now it works great? Good for you, great work! I have learned a lot from you. You even gave me some good pointers on narrowing my rear end. Seems you can do almost anything.

Lol! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I don’t recall...........when you put this system in.........you no longer have defrost ?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't speak for all systems, but most of them at least have the defrost setting. Mine works pretty well so far, but the main concern most have is that most of these lose the fresh-air intake which would theoretically reduce defrost efficiency.
All factory offerings make sure to open up the fresh air during defrost action for this reason. Not that Broncos are usually very well sealed of course, but fresh is better than recirculated.

Like I said though, on mine it still works passably well. But I'm also in a relatively dry climate compared to some. Has anyone reported how their worked in high humidity?
How's the air out your way Boss?

Paul

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I don't suppose the guys in TX are overly concerned about defrost but here in CO I need to be able to keep snow and ice off while driving.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone reported how their worked in high humidity?
How's the air out your way Boss?

Let’s just say I could fill up a 16oz bottle in about 10 minutes with this thing.

There has been a question of effectiveness in a topless situation. Let me tell you it REALLY knocks the edge off! Going down the road the cool air blowing on your legs offsets the heat coming up from the floor. One of my next goals is a removable carpet/insulation setup.

Saturday at OCBR we were able to ride in 95 degree high humidity and I DID NOT hear the kids in the back complain about the heat. And I only ran the fan at half speed, so they weren’t getting it all.

Also, I bought a BlueDriver scanner to scan transmission codes a few weeks back. We got out on a trail Friday afternoon and after coming back, the engine stalled when I tried to stop. I cranked it back up, noting this as strange (and the CEL had lit up), and it did it again the next time I stopped. So I plugged the BD in and it reminded me that I had a switch below the steering column to lock the torque converter whenever I want. So it’s like I was stopped without hitting the clutch in a manual. I cleared the codes and went on

The reason I mention that issue is because Sat afternoon, i hopped in after watching some guys on an obstacle and the BD was flashing an orange light which I had not seen yet. This thing is blue tooth and gives a few live metrics so I pulled my phone out and found the temp was running 207. So for the next few minutes I dropped into low gear and let it rev while coasting downhill and it cooled right off.

It’s cool to watch all my hark work and crazy engineering work perfectly. (Well, ok, there was one instance where something failed...check the OCBR threads for that.)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It's not so much a matter of the VA defroster not working. It does defrost. It's just that the factory defroster worked better, and without having to run the compressor to do it.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's not so much a matter of the VA defroster not working. It does defrost. It's just that the factory defroster worked better, and without having to run the compressor to do it.

If the original worked better, it could only be because it used fresh air. The VA moves just as much thru the defrost ducts as the original blower. I can't really compare tho, because I don't recall needing defrost while running a closed-up cab. (Also, I put a toggle next to my knobs to disengage the compressor whenever I want. It's nifty. :-D)

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So this week I’m driving the bronco in 30-40 degree rain. Yay! The defroster works, but not on the right spots of the windshield.

0d9e26c867a41e1a1184d281777809ba.jpg

In case can’t see, I’ve circled the spots that don’t clear up. The one on the left has actually been wiped with a rag because I was tired of leaning to the left to see out.

7a4e5ffc5da6a985ebbe124682d066ea.jpg

I haven’t had a chance to see what the cause of the problem is.