• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Hydroboost upgrade.

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
I have been reading threads and gathering parts for awhile now. and yesterday I finally installed it.

Well phase 1 anyway...

a few years ago I upgraded to power brakes and bought the booster and angled bracket on EBay Regrettably... my MC leaked and I replaced that and the booster I think was weak. when I first got it, it was great but over time it has been getting harder to brake, so I think it was going out.

luckily the angle bracket is fine...

Also I will mention when I upgraded my power steering a few years ago I am running a single return Saginaw on a adapter bracket I got from one of the Vendors, I am thinking WH.

so I got a Hydro boost unit out of a 95 GMC safari AWD Van. so I grabbed everything including the MC and Prop valve which I have plans of using.

But yesterday I just had time to do the Hydro boost portion and not change out the MC and all that comes with that. that will be my next day off...

So what I discovered that the rod that came of the Astro Unit was the perfect size to be threaded so I was able to take the end off of the Vacuum booster and thread it on and now the boost unit bolted to the Angled bracket and was hooked to the Pedal.

I was able to get it plumbed in with the help of a google search and routing instructions. I got the Fittings metric fittings from EBay and the 90 degree AN fittings locally as well finding a local hydraulic shop for hoses I added a cooler I found on Amazon under the radiator. and bled the system and presto stopping power. I bolted old MC to it and it was ready to go.

I used this diagram

I took it for a test drive and almost put my self thru the Windshield. it stops and handles great.. although too hard of braking will lock up all 4 wheels... so...

my Phase 2 will be installing the New Astro MC (used the one from junk yard as a core) with its accompanying Prop valve. I have read that this set up works well we will see.

I always forget that I'm a contributor so I can add photos with out PhotoBucket old habits die hard I guess..

Future plans I am gather parts for a serpentine setup on my 351 so I will get a dual return Saginaw to eliminate my T

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It might just be my BOCD, but I would want a cooler to have the fins facing into the air flow.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
IMO great thread.

Gave insight on what was learned.

Provided detail.

To the point (I have trouble with brevity).

Excellent pics.

AND a topic I'm very interested in. ;D

Thanks!

Craig

OP
OP
nathan.hall1

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
It might just be my BOCD, but I would want a cooler to have the fins facing into the air flow.

Thanks guys I hoped it would helpful.

I thought about that and it would easy to move it but I figured it shouldn't get super hot and would get decent enough air flow...

But I was trying to tuck it up out of the way.

I will have to rethink that thanks

OP
OP
nathan.hall1

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
Here's a view behind angled bracket

And a view of box, I'm not a fan of the T it's temporary until I upgrade pump to a dual return and go to a serpentine front dress

Toddpole

Contributor
Looks great. Only issue I see is the return line coming out of the hydroboost looks to be kinked. A 90* fitting would take care of that.

C Saporito

You better check the psi rating on that blue anodized aluminum fitting. I split one, I have a high pressure pump but even 1500psi might be stretching it.

OP
OP
nathan.hall1

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
You better check the psi rating on that blue anodized aluminum fitting. I split one, I have a high pressure pump but even 1500psi might be stretching it.

Yeah I don't like it either I'm getting a steel fitting to replace it.

A few people have PMed asking about fittings used I got this list off another forum

Saginaw Pump = M16x1.5
Hydroboost Input = M16x1.5
Hydroboost Output = M18x1.5
4x4x2 Steering Box Input = 5/8-18

RUS-632620 Hose, Powerflex, Braided Stainless Steel, -6 AN, 10 ft. Length, (I used this for estimating hose length) but I had my hoses made at Napa

RUS-620421 Fitting, Hose End, Power Steering, 90 Degree, -6 AN Hose to Female -6 AN, Steel, Nickel Plated, 2 needed I got at a local hose and fitting place, they didn't carry and metric so I had to internet source those

RUS-648060 Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Stainless Steel, -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male, I should have gotten this the first time the aluminum one is junk but it is on its way now

RUS-648080 Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Steel, -6 AN to 18mm x 1.5 O-Ring, got on EBay

Last edited:

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Nice job on the Hydroboost! That fluid is gonna get plenty hot and would probably benefit if the systems cooler was facing directly into the airflow. Really nice writeup! ;D

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The two sources I have seen say that the ideal temperature for PS fluid is either 178 or 180 degrees F, no hotter.

OP
OP
nathan.hall1

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
Now I'm not arguing, to move the cooler will be easy enough and I plan to, but my question is how hot does the hydro boost get the fluid? I figure it will be the slow off road stuff with a lot of braking that will really be working the system.

I figure normal around town driving stop and go driving will not be enough to get the system too hot...I didn't see any type of cooler on the Safari van I pulled it from (I could have missed it)...I almost want to rig up some type of temporary temperature gauge to see what kind of temps it's at

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What adds the most heat is the power steering and the pump itself.

There are many vehicles without hydroboost that have power steering coolers, and some that don't but need them.

OP
OP
nathan.hall1

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
I used this one I found on Amazon

The pump I put on a few years back I just got a Saginaw pump of a 70s Chevy from Autozone. And the bracket from Wild Horses. I think they came with the kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 80

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
That "cooler" looks like it is built to block as much air flow away from the fins as possible.

Poorly designed in my opinion.

jlawyer

I'm looking forward to hearing about your braking experience when you switch the MC and proportioning valve over as well.

OP
OP
nathan.hall1

nathan.hall1

Loc.
Central Washington
Oh I forgot to update this, but I got the new Astro MC and prop valve installed. And it works great.

With the other MC, it didn't to take much to lock up all 4 tires and come to a screeching halt.

With the Astro MC and prop valve, even a hard stop from 50mph no lock up just a quick stop I'm am really pleased with it now it has more of a modern feel to it I just wished I wouldn't have taken so long for this upgrade.