• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My mirror upgrade

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
Since buying our eb, one of the first things that we really hated was the crappy universal auto parts store mirrors. They are cheap, all the pivots are loose due to poor construction, heads wouldn't stay adjusted, etc...The location that the po had mounted them didn't allow for the vent window to open. Anyways, I had to make a parts run for my shop at a salvage yard that has humongus pothole craters and decided to take our eb, Bucky. While gathering some odds and ends I drove by a row of 80's-90's F-series. I noticed the angles of the top of the door were pretty comparable. The parts guy I deal with said he would take $30 for a pair if I pulled them so I went back out to find the best pair of factory Swing-Loc mirrors. I should also mention that I HATE the "objects in mirror" crap so I broke it all out and got a new glass for the drivers side. $10 for a new glass at O'Reilly's. So i am $40 into the deal plus whatever the compression nuts cost.

If a person wanted to do electric remote mirrors, early 90's F-series would be very doable as it is the same angle at the top but I wanted manual. Here's some pic....I don't know how to resize them so if they are too big I appologize.

Meet Bucky!
IMG_1973_zpse88dbf40.jpg

Crappy parts house mirror.
IMG_1976_zps4cfede88.jpg

Vent window hits.
IMG_1987_zpsaa19afbf.jpg

Factory Ford to parts house comparison.
IMG_1979_zps83ca5f10.jpg

I used the same compression nuts that Ford used.
IMG_1984_zpsa6724ff5.jpg

Installing the the nut inserts.
IMG_1986_zpsfc02557d.jpg

Installed and has clearance! I also moved them further forward which allows even more view.
IMG_1989_zpsda25c055.jpg

View from the back.
IMG_1991_zpsbc727dae.jpg

Driver side installed.
IMG_1992_zps49666645.jpg

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Thanks for posting this. I need to round up a set. I suppose if the yard allows, getting two driver side mirrors would solve the convex glass issue.

Do you have any pics taken further away? The mirrors look huge in the above pics. I would like to see a couple shots with the whole truck.

Also, could you get a quick measurement between the top and bottom pivots? I have existing holes in my driver side door that I would like to use if possible.

COSCAG00

I really like those mirrors. Where do you get the nut inserts? Do you need any special tools to install them?

OP
OP
rastiss

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
The inserts I usEd were from ford. They are metric thread to mate up with the original bolts. I have a "thread setter"(pictured) that is similar to a pop rivet gun to install them. You can use a bolt with a washer and a nut to install them also. It takes a lot longer than the regular tool. The tool makes a tighter and more uniform crimp from my experience also. I have had it since the early 90's for doing these mirrors on the old f-series and roof racks on suv's and vans.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The old ranger and BII mirrors were slightly smaller but the same style. In fact Ford used to sell a kit (might still?) for the ranger/BII that included both mirrors and a stiffening brace that went inside the door. The brace prevented the door panel from vibrating and fuzzing up the image in the mirror. That brace was easily modified to fit inside an EB door. I used this kit on a previous Bronco, about 23 years ago. I might still have the kit part number somewhere.

Part number is E5TZ-17696-D for passenger side. Here's one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-Mirror...-II-RIGHT-Side-83-92-/230935711299#vi-content

Attachments

• $(KGrHqRHJEsE-lTe,G8OBPvp5NZCs!~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqRHJEsE-lTe,G8OBPvp5NZCs!~~60_58.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 61
  • $T2eC16Z,!ysE9sy0i3R0BQ22q)onyw~~60_58.jpg
    $T2eC16Z,!ysE9sy0i3R0BQ22q)onyw~~60_58.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 62
  • $(KGrHqZHJE8E-vgrh--tBPvp5hEnQQ~~60_58.jpg
    $(KGrHqZHJE8E-vgrh--tBPvp5hEnQQ~~60_58.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
OP
OP
rastiss

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
My ford parts guy told me they were obsolete. The salvages in our area crushed all the old rangers and B II's as there isnt much demand anymore. That's why I looked at these. F-series will be around for a while. IMHO, I really like these! Great to see out of and don't look like an add on. Earlier 80's heads are more squared off and might appeal more to others. Great upgrade for us regardless...

COSCAG00

Well I went and bought a pair of mirrors off of and 89 F150. I pulled them myself and paid $25 so not too bad. I will just use a nice large fender washer and nut on the back side of my door. I am leery of drilling into the doors but might as well jump right in.

OP
OP
rastiss

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
Duct tape is your friend! I used gorilla duct tape to hold them in place so I could find where I wanted them. If you are gonna "nut" them, use a polynut or loctite. Enjoy! We do!

COSCAG00

Duct tape is your friend! I used gorilla duct tape to hold them in place so I could find where I wanted them. If you are gonna "nut" them, use a polynut or loctite. Enjoy! We do!

Good tip - Didnt think of that. I will get some polynuts to use.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Bronco II mirrors

This is what the Ranger/Bronco II mirrors look like. I ended up going this route so I could re-use the holes one of the POs drilled in the drivers door for a similar style mirror. I drilled out the rivet and flipped the lower bracket upside down so the holes would line up, and tweaked the upper bracket slightly to fit the curve of the door where the upper holes were. But on a "fresh" install, no modifications would be necessary if the mirrors are mounted slightly lower on the doors.

img_0347.jpg

Tram

Bronco Guru
Hey rastiss,

Any chance I could talk you out of a distance measurement to the front of the top brack based off the door hinge?

Just scored some mirrors and thought I'd look for a starting point.

And where have you guys grabbed gaskets for these things?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rastiss

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
I pulled my mirrors at the salvage and got the bolts and gaskets. I can get the measurements but if you don't have the same mirror it won't help you.