• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mysterious Timing Issues

OP
OP
S

seely

Choke is wide open, I thought it could have to do with my engine being cold as well, but checked the float levels and they were too low (I unfortunately was messing with them at some point before being led to the distributor).

Adjusted thoses and it’s doing a lot better, but still stalling frequently in reverse. Don’t know if it’s relates, but I’m noticing some leaking by the accelerator pump. I think I’m going to replace it and seal it and see if that helps out.

OP
OP
S

seely

I have a manual choke and never used to mess with it before, but then again I’m sure everything (timing, tuning, idle speed) was all out of whack.

Also, newbie question, when tuning for idle, since I have an automatic, should I be doing it in drive with a friend on the breaks, or is doing it in park going to be fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Set it in park.
Then check it again in drive to see how it reacts.

Shifting into drive should result in neither stalling nor jerking.
Too low and it stalls, too high and it jerks.

OP
OP
S

seely

Just to clarify, are you talking about idle mixture too high/low or idle speed?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, gently turn in the mixture screw on one side until the engine starts to stumble, then go out one full turn. Then repeat on the other screw. You may want to do this again, especially if the screws were way out of wack. Then adjust the idle in park, and check it in drive. Remember to get the ignition timing set first. Good luck

OP
OP
S

seely

I tried again from scratch just like you said (screwed in until stumble then out a full turn) and it seems a lot better now! I started having trouble reading the rpm’s with my multimeter and am trying ti get the idle speed a little better. Drive seems fine, but I have to give a little gas to get it in reverse without stalling. All in all, I’m feeling pretty good about it, but will continue to fine tune if I have additional problems. Can’t believe after all this time it’s finally up and running!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well it’s all good progress it sounds like. But it shouldn’t act any different in reverse than it does in drive normally.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you can raise and lower the idle with the screw on the throttle shaft now that the mixture screws are set. I would raise the idle a little and see how you like it. From here on leave the mixture screws alone. Good luck