• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mystery box

WMBG74Bronco

Loc.
Williamsburg
I am sortign through a rats nest of wires as I chase down shorts on my 74 bronco. When I pulled the instrument cluster I discovered a litttle black box that is 2.5 x 2.5 X 1 it is made of balck plasic and has a 7 inch shielded wire coing out of it that was cut and not connected to anythign. It was held in by one phillips head screw connecting it to the frame. On the box the only letters and numbers that appear say "the unc-o box" Does anyone know what this box was supposed to do and if it still has a purpose?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Just on a guess, because I really have no idea (no pics), that may be a intermittent wiper control that is no longer being used.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe an old alarm system component?

OP
OP
W

WMBG74Bronco

Loc.
Williamsburg
Makes as much sense as anything else

Thanks, that makes as much sense as anything else. You sound confident, it is hard to detect sarcasm, Via the web but I am told you are the authority on all thigns bronco. Now I have an easy one, where is the high beam indicator light supposed to be displayed on my 74 Bronco. Most of the wires on it have been have been cut, ripped and painted over twice and I am workgin off some very old crappy schematics, but they doent show where the indicator light shows on the dash. Thanks again.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Whats that its plugged into? ign switch?

High beam indicator....mine is in the upper center of the guage cluster. The other two on the sides are blinkers

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks, that makes as much sense as anything else. You sound confident, it is hard to detect sarcasm, Via the web but I am told you are the authority on all thigns bronco. Now I have an easy one, where is the high beam indicator light supposed to be displayed on my 74 Bronco. Most of the wires on it have been have been cut, ripped and painted over twice and I am workgin off some very old crappy schematics, but they doent show where the indicator light shows on the dash. Thanks again.

Sometimes you have to have a little fun. It does sound like a wiper delay box.

Here's a map of the cluster.

Attachments

• Bronco 383.jpg
    Bronco 383.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 91

Lennardlector

Contributor
I wired a 89 ranger column into my system for the intermittent wipers and mine
somewhat resembles that mess.

OP
OP
W

WMBG74Bronco

Loc.
Williamsburg
Good stuff

Good stuff! The mystery box only had the one shielded wire and no power lead, or ground. I will just stick with the FBI tracking device it makes for a good story, until I come up with a better one. Thanks for the cluster picture. I feel stupid now, as I was thinking the top spot was for a hazard light flasher since it was red and not blue, but that does make sense. So now can you offer me some guidance as to where the hazard light flasher should go? Perhaps in my dash, to the right of my ignition switch I have three holes, one that is 3/4 diameter and two that are 1/2 inch. I will try to attach a picture here
If that does not work I will try also figure out how to add pictures to a post.

Thanks again folks for al the help and advice.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
my 68 has a hazard switch but no light. Actually maybe both blinker lights in the guage cluster come on?? Ya they do im sure. That switch on my 68 is first switch on the bottom row. Next hole is brake warning, next hole is wiper switch.

Top on mine goes headlights, key, cig lighter

You have a dash light for your hazards? Maybe that light is the brake warning light instead??

OP
OP
W

WMBG74Bronco

Loc.
Williamsburg
I don't know what I am supposed to have, Most of my wires were just cut, ripped and or painted over. What can I say I purcahsed a real project! There is a red with yellow striped wire that feeds a small light that is on continously if the ignition is on, even if the beast is running. The return wire on that is purple. Perhaps that is suposed to be the break warning light, but it could be a hazard flasher, I dont know yet. Thanks for thhe thoughts and help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back in the day there were a lot of dual-antenna boxes that sounds like yours. If the shielded wire looks like the standard coax cable with it's end cut off, and there is another matching opening where another one could go, that is one possibility.

So, from your description I see a few possibilites.

1. Antenna booster.
2. Radio Noise suppressor.
3. Dual antenna splitter (for AM/FM and CB)
4. Alarm system.

Could the writing actually be "Ungo box" instead? I think the old Ungos were alarms.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Could the writing actually be "Ungo box" instead? I think the old Ungos were alarms.

I think thats the english version of the no va.

The red-yellow does feed the brake warning light.

OP
OP
W

WMBG74Bronco

Loc.
Williamsburg
Thanks for the wiring help and the help with the mystery box. I think it could say UNGO box. No one will will steal this beast unless they have a good back or a tow truck so I will leave it off for now and move on to wiring that is essential to a functioning Bronco. Thanks again for beign so helpful to a "newbie".

Greg

OP
OP
W

WMBG74Bronco

Loc.
Williamsburg
Mystery Solved

It is official, it was part of an old alarm system. It says UNGO not UNC-O. I did some searching on the web and found the alarm parts and the the company just had funky font. Thanks again. It is now in the trash! Thanks guys!

Greg

Last edited:

Bradsp8

Greg,

Welcome aboard. Looks like you're getting some good replies already and even found your answer. Wealth of knowledge here that's for sure.

FYI, to post pics you have to pay $12 annual fee and it allows you to become a "contributing member."

There's also a private mail feature where you can send or receive "PM's" you may not want the general public to see.

Hope you see you on the road this Summer. There's several EB's in town, we should all get together sometime. At JYP on Friday or Sat nights at Shorty's Diner there have been a few nice EB's on display. Another local member on here is using the name FRKNSTN or something similar. Did a fantastic resto. He may also be a great source of info for you.

-Brad

OP
OP
W

WMBG74Bronco

Loc.
Williamsburg
Thanks you surely put me on the right track. Thanks. I like the get together idea. Hope to be moving without the assistance of a tow truck soon.

OP
OP
W

WMBG74Bronco

Loc.
Williamsburg
It is official, it was part of an old alarm system. It says UNGO not UNC-O. I did some searching on the web and found the alarm parts and the the company just had funky font. Thanks again. It is now in the trash! Thanks guys!

Greg