• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Name this power steering gear box?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Ford Bronco box was made by Saginaw Gear also, but obviously this is a different design. Dodge used boxes similar to that one in your pic, but it was more common to use the GM versions on early conversions, so my "assumption" is that it's the GM box.
Yours is also the harder to find (in my experience anyway) right-side mount box. Most of the ones you see have the bolting flange facing the driver's side. Making them much more awkward to retrofit to a Bronco.

Paul

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like the one in my JEEP...... hahahahahah that's right... u's gots jeep parts in there BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only mod that I can think of is a slight variation on the hole spacing. If it was done right, it should be fine, but Ford used internal braces to strengthen the area for the clamping forces.
At the very least though, a little beefing up would be in order for a conversion such as this.
Should be easy enough to see if any plating, or reinforcement of any kind, was welded on to the frame.
Your frame rail was actually notched for the box, and I do see a tube welded to the bottom for the lower bolt, but you'll have to inspect it for any other goodies.
You might also have a helper work the steering back and forth while you watch to make sure there are no cracks or excessive flexing going on in that area.

Paul

OP
OP
akafrankcastle

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
The only mod that I can think of is a slight variation on the hole spacing. If it was done right, it should be fine, but Ford used internal braces to strengthen the area for the clamping forces.
At the very least though, a little beefing up would be in order for a conversion such as this.
Should be easy enough to see if any plating, or reinforcement of any kind, was welded on to the frame.
Your frame rail was actually notched for the box, and I do see a tube welded to the bottom for the lower bolt, but you'll have to inspect it for any other goodies.
You might also have a helper work the steering back and forth while you watch to make sure there are no cracks or excessive flexing going on in that area.

Paul

I plan to assess the box and installation for stability once I finally take delivery. If everything pans out, I will run it for now. Long term the box will come out, the frame will be set back to factory, and a Ford box will be installed in its place.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is this on the Stroppe you were talking about in the other thread? If it is, then you might ask Andrew if it's possible that it's an early Stroppe-mod for power steering, or something a PO just put on there.
It looks like it made it impractical for the bumper brace to fit on that side, but if it's a Baja-thing, it might be worth keeping intact.
Not sure if Stroppe would have cut the frame and bend in the fender like that, but you never know what the early racers had done to them.

Probably not theirs, but I'll be curious to hear what you find out.

Paul

Amac70

ME
i can remember talk about stroope doing this early on before there was a stock power steering box. might be something to check out.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
looks pretty stroppe-ish to me. is that a cooler mount under the radiator i'm seeing in the pic? the body mount mod is very reminisant as well.

Last edited:

tinytim02

Contributor
Weren't some of the Stroppe PS boxes painted GM orange? Looks like this box may been orange at one time...

OP
OP
akafrankcastle

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
looks pretty stroppe-ish to me. is that a cooler mount under the radiator i'm seeing in the pic? the body mount mod is very reminisant as well.

I've been wondering about that myself Nick. You are talking about the two horizontal bars protruding to the front and towards the radiator, right?

Next time I talk to PO, I'm going to try and get some contact info for the PO prior. Maybe I can run down some info on this thing.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has this type of PS mod and if so, if they have any pics of it.

OP
OP
akafrankcastle

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
Weren't some of the Stroppe PS boxes painted GM orange? Looks like this box may been orange at one time...

The box most definitely was orange at some point. Now, is this the same box that was/could have been installed in '72? I dunno. Anyone know how to carbon date a weld? That should put my mind at ease!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks Stroppe-ish to me as well
Is the truck an automatic? Are those brackets off the crossmember rements of a Stroppe trans cooler?

My understanding is that not only did Stroppe do trucks that were drop shipped to him but he would also do trucks that were bought elsewhere and brought in to him. Hense a non-Stroppe DSO.

OP
OP
akafrankcastle

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
Looks Stroppe-ish to me as well
Is the truck an automatic? Are those brackets off the crossmember rements of a Stroppe trans cooler?

My understanding is that not only did Stroppe do trucks that were drop shipped to him but he would also do trucks that were bought elsewhere and brought in to him. Hense a non-Stroppe DSO.

3 speed.

Total of "Stroppe-ish" mods I am currently looking at:
1. Weird PS upgrade
2. Dual shocks all the way around. (Still need to get pics of those mounts)
3. Stroppe-ish rollbar
4. Bumper braces. The DS braces has been chopped to make room for the PS gear box. Likely not something that would have been done at his shop. Maybe a PO frustrated with his ability to get to the PS gear box?
5. 351W?
6. Possible trans cooler mount?

Oh yeah, and a big Bill Stroppe autograph hidden under some grease under the hood. Wait. That was just a dream.