• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

napa duraspark connectors

hose101

Contributor
searched but not super clear so here goes.

Building the ignition harness for a points to electronic conversion. Bought the 3 pin Napa ECH EC72 connectors. The 3 pin connectors have 4 wires. These get connected to one of the ignition module connectors that has 2 wire and the distributor connection that has three wires. What do I do with the other wires. cut and cap? any other uses?

OP
OP
hose101

hose101

Contributor
decided to just heat shrink the end and leave in the loom. if you can think of any reason not to I'd love to hear about it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You will obviously need to keep all the pertinent wires connected. That means that you have six working wires. That seventh can be tucked up in the loom as you mentioned.
Is that what you meant? Or did you leave more than just the one wire out of the system?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but here's how the typical Dura Spark gets connected if you're using the module with the Blue Grommet.

Two-Wire Connector:
1. Red wire - To 12v switched from the ignition switch. Factory color is Red w/green, but is NOT part of the resistor wire.
2. White wire - To 12v switched in START only from the starter relay Brown wire, OR the ignition switch Red w/blue wire. Whichever is more convenient.

These can sometimes be reversed in the colors of the wires in the connectors, but since you're starting from scratch you might want to hunt down one of the diagrams posted up by either jckkys or Steve83.

Four-Wire Connetor:
1. Green wire (might have a yellow stripe?) - runs to negative side of the ignition coil.
2. Black wire - connects to the Black wire of the Dura Spark distributor. This is a common ground between the module and the distributor.
3. Purple wire - Connects to the Purple wire out of the distributor.
4. Orange wire - Connects to the Orange wire out of the distributor.

Coil:
1. Green w/yellow from the module to the negative terminal.
2. Red w/green resistor wire from the ignition switch. Same color as the one that powers the Red wire of the module, but in this case is the original resistor wire that would have been on all Broncos.

So does your module have the blue strain relief?
Is your ignition coil made for a Dura Spark specifically? Does it list it's ohm rating on the side?

I think that's about all the main points. If I missed something I'm sure others will catch it.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well crap. I've been trying to shut down for the night for awhile now, but just realized I'm only five posts away from the next thousand. Man, gotta' get a few more in before the brain shuts down for the night!
Oh well, that was an hour or so ago...%)

Paul

OP
OP
hose101

hose101

Contributor
thanks for the reply, cleared up a few questions i had.