• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

napa pump vs. saginaw?

Jess Luvs 2Romp

Loc.
Montara, CA
Well, i have a sag pump that i got off a 5.0 chevy v8... but it prolly needs a rebuild. should i just chuck it and go for the napa pump? and also, if anyone has the link to that napa pump that's suppost to be pretty strong, let me have it.

thanks, Jess

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Napa doesn't carry cardone anymore. I tried to get it through Napa a few months back, and they substituted a stock mustang serpentine type pump. I think I got mine through rockauto.com
Tom

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Napa owns Cardone. I got the same pump through Advance Auto...because they could get it quicker. Before I knew I got a discount from NAPA. When I was thinking about taking the one from Advance back...I checked wiht NAPA and the guy sadi they owned the manufacturer/remanufacturer and that its the same pump. To run that pump you will need an adapter to mate the pump and the hose. I had problems with the hose and my oil pressure sending unit, but a few bends and everything worked well. Go to the tech section at www.broncoohio.com and they have the part number. The first pump I got from Advance ended up having a faulty press fitting on the pressure line...I always have wondered if that would've been the case at NAPA. Cool thing was at Advance, I left them with the original as my return. :eek: So, maybe it was kharma getting me for tricking them. Two installs is better than a core charge.

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
I am ready to get the cardone pump but nobody around me can order it right now. The only place that can get it from there distributor is Murrays and they are more expencive then the rest of them.

Autozone--$89 something & i think $60 core
Murrays --$106 & 40 or 45 core
Advance Auto $64 with a 45 Core
Napa--105 and dont rememder the core

And of course Autozone and Advance can not get them right now. And the guys at napa wont take back my original as a core so there out. So all that leaves me with is $106 from Murrays. I have been waiting about a month for the other 2 to see if there distributor will get them in stock.
But now I am thinking if i have to warranty this thing and get it from Auto. or AA i might have a hard time getting a replacement pump.

Not sure what to do?

Also Hotwheels did you have to modify the original pulley in any way to make it work?
Thanks

66crawler

Loc.
Castle Rock
I just installed the NAPA saginaw PS pump last weekend. I had to grind a half moon out of the OEM ford bracket but this was easily done with a jig saw and metal blade. The original pump pulley fit just perfectly.

Do yourself a favor though and order the high pressure hose from a 75' Scout with the pump. It fits perfectly without any adapters needed between the new NAPA pump and Bronco steering box. It was only $12 from NAPA. You will also need to buy a dipstick from NAPA too since the pump doesn't come with one. My NAPA guy just threw it in because he felt it should have come with one. Great guy!

Definately stronger steering now than the FORD ps pump but I'm still doing hydro assist next since I roll 37's.

Mark

68ford

Bronco Guru
just so you know that is the same pump as a sagina,it is the sagina pump,just the resivior looks different. thats what is in late 60s chevys, so get whichever one you can get for less.

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
the prices i listed above is for the one that everyone calls the napa pump. I wanted to use that one so i can use my stock brakects.

68ford

Bronco Guru
you can use your stock bracket with the saginaw, i did, just drilled 2 holes and use some washers. wh has a template on paper to where the holes need to be drilled.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I did the napa pump conversion (the one on the Broncohio site) with the adaptor do-hab. It bolted right up to the stock brackets, and my napy guys know me by name, so they took my puked original back as core. My first pump didn't pump, so I had to wait another week for napy to ship one in from far off, but after that, it werked great. Make sure your v-belt is tight. The stock PS pulley will work too. My napy guys actually pulled it off for me for free, and the pump comes with a "tool" (bolt and nuts and washers) for installing the pulley yourself.
It was easy.