• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a '73-'75 LH wheel tub

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'm doing a restoration on my '77. The problem is, I want to keep the power brake booster, original steering shaft with the rag joint while using the F250 long travel shock mount. The '76-'77 wont work with the long travel shock mount. The original was mangled in a collision so I need a new one. The booster bracket from some venders works without the weird late tub but no body sells the '73-75 tub.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The WH tub is a '76-'77. The BG looks like it may work. I thought I called them, but maybe not. Anyhow thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's possible that we have the incorrect image associated with the part too.
I can check for you tomorrow and make sure. I knew we had two parts listed, but a physical verification to make sure they're different might be a good thing.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is different, but the early one still shows the "kink" in it that I thought was only on the later ones. Maybe a requested "upgrade" so they'll fit better with modified steering linkages?
At least the early one should sit lower, but wonder if it would even line up with the higher opening on jckkys' '77?

Fabricated a side panel to mount electronics on the passenger side for my '71 and was 1/2" or so off of fitting a '77 that we tried it out on next.
Not really sure if that would cause problems mounting the wheel wells up to the different years, but they definitely sit at different heights.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Once power steering was introduced in 73 they all had the kickout for steering linkage. Height differances I dont know. Other than 76/77 needed to clear the powersteering booster so I can see where they would be slightly lower.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
When looking at the '76-'77 tub at WH, I can see the difference. By measuring the OE '77 tub I'm sure the F250 shock mounts don't fit. The new PB booster brackets are supposed work with '73-'75 tubs. The wrinkle on the side appears to facilitate the rag joint in the '77 steering shaft. I want the engine compartment to look largely like the '77 did new, but without putting EGR back in. The truck is titled as a '68 so it's not needed.

Tram

Bronco Guru
I'm considering replacing the tub on mine '74. This is pretty much the centralized location of bad rust in it. I was looking at the core supports today and they've seen better days, so I'm going to be replacing them and thought while I was at it, I might as well replace the entire tub.

It doesn't seem like it'd be that difficult, but before I got in over my head, I thought I'd see what someone who has done it thought.

Anyone?