• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a Cam gurus advice - Hyd Roller

mustangsean

I have two cams and trying to decide which one below to use. Neither one is really great for a bronco, but they are what I have on a budget, which would you choose?

Anderson B-2 - SPEC 218/224@.050 ,524/544 LIFT 112 LSA

Ford Racing F303 - SPEC 288/226 @.050, 512/512 LIFT 114 LSA

Going into a new ford racing short block, with flat tops and e5te heads mild porting (should be about 9:1 compression). Hooker headers, and factory 289 4bbl intake with Holley 650 vac secondary

I know its too much cam with either one, but which would you choose?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure either. Since you're carb'ed, either one is a legitimate choice for a performance engine. If you're ever going to go EFI though, it might like the Ford cam better, with it's 114 degree Lobe Separation Angle.

Is that a typo by any chance? Is it really 288 or 218 like the first one?
One's got more duration (just slightly) and one's got more lift. If you stick with stock ratio rockers, maybe the Anderson B-2 would be a better choice. Lesser of two evils at least.

If I was going to have to choose one of those, no matter which one I went with, I'd advance the cam at least 4 degrees, if not 6. Only reason being to bring the torque peak down to a lower rpm level.
Might not make the idle smooth as glass, but at least it should help with off-idle response and low-end pull.

And with all that you're doing, and cams being so relatively inexpensive, couldn't you just sell both of those and get a new one of your choice instead? I'd hate to see you got to all the trouble of buying, building and installing a new engine into your Bronco and not liking it.
A friend decided to stick with the E303 cam that he had when he built his EFI engine. First thing he wanted to do though, after getting it fired up, is change out the cam for a milder one. If Ford follows tradition, then that F303 is even less desirable.
But at advancing the cam can at least help make it more palatable. He didn't and probably wishes he had.

Good luck.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know its too much cam with either one, but which would you choose?
Neither, sorry. The camshaft is the brains of the motor, skimp on that and you'll hate it forever.

Both those cams are great in a mustang, not so much in a Bronco. If money is an issue, I recommend you use a stock HO mustang cam over either of those. A stock HO cam can be had for nearly free off craigs or corral.net. Heck, a free explorer camshaft would be better than either of those.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The F cam rreally doesnt start showing up until 2000+ RPM so IMO its not a good cam for a 4wd. Some of the mustang guys dont even like it as its got a wierd power band.
The Anderson cam would be my choice between the 2. but its still to big.
I agree go with a stock HO cam or the explorer cam. Should be able to get one for next to nothing or trade one of your cams for it.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Both those cams are great in a mustang, not so much in a Bronco...

My thoughts exactly...buy a Mustang so you can use your cams. In all honesty, there are plenty of guys on the Mustang forums who would probably buy both of your cams in a heartbeat for a good deal, so why not sell both of the less than optimal cams in hand and buy one better suited towards your rig?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
even if you use camquest, which is great, you need to be careful with what your seeing, you might see great numbers, but put in the bronco weight nearing 4-5000lbs and you'll see those have nothing to give below 2-3000rpm.

OP
OP
M

mustangsean

Well I needed t get done to have something to drive so i left the f303 in it for now. I'll sell the Anderson, and use that $ for a better match. Thanks!