• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a cheap solution to getting a transmission out of a lifted truck

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
just take a strap and some 2X4s and strap the damn thing down to the lift with enough 2X4s in there to get the lift the right height.

I have pulled my POS BTO 700R4 with adapter, TC, and Xfer case, out and back again twice BY MY SELF with a HF motorcycle jack and 2X4s making up the difference and strapping the whole thing together in one piece. Last time to put it in and bolt it all up was less than an hour. I hope I dont have to get any better at it :)

Now I did the cherry picker through the floor board once for the NP435 and transfer case. It can be a PIA to get it back in that way though it does drop right out. :)

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Motorcycle jack works really well, and they often have 19 or more inches of lift to them. Add some 2x4s and a ratchet strap to make up the difference. They're nice and stable too. The bean bag will get it out, but then you're still bench pressing it back in! I got my motorcycle jack at Sam's club for about $100. Sometimes I even use it for a motorcycle. Harbor Freight has some pretty good deals on them too.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I have a Dodge Ram on 44s, a '75 EB and a ' 70 EB soon to be on 44s. Every trans and tranny has been dropped and installed with a cople of ratchet straps. I would put a raised jack under it, lower with ratchet straps until it sits on the jack. Then drop the jack and roll it away.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I had to change a tranny and t-case in my first bronco. I had a roll cage with center bars. I used a come-along through the shifter hole and It worked pretty well.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
On that note, why not use a BBW blow up doll? Lay out under the truck, inflate, loosen bolts, remove x-member, and deflate. Installation is the reverse of removal.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
There is no way I would waste a good blow up doll on a transmission. Hell the trans could pop her, she would fly around the room and out a window , gone forever.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
There is no way I would waste a good blow up doll on a transmission. Hell the trans could pop her, she would fly around the room and out a window , gone forever.

Yer right, just trying to come up with a solution with cheap tools that may already be on hand. Heck, why not just wrap her legs around the tranny (weird thought) and arms around the t-case, and there's nowhere to go but up or down. Kinda like this thread. :p

BTW, I R a engineer....