• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a little help installing a stock rear tank please.

bronco1017

I can't seem to get the outside lock ring on. Everything seems to sit flat it just isn't catching. I bent the lead tabs a tiny bit and think I should bend them a little more but thought I'd check here first. I called Tom's and they said they just use a screwdriver. That didn't work for me. Any tricks from you guru's out there?
Thanks in advance.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Is your tank out?
I fought mine and finally used a factory lock ring and did some bending on the tabs, and I put the gasket in the freezer for 30 minutes. I had an extra hand and it was a still a pain being in the truck. Make sure that your sending unit is keyed right. Don't ask me how I know that one. LOL

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
is it the stock OEM ring or an aftermarket? I have yet to find an aftermarket ring which works right, they are all just a tad too small.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Oil the Oring fist!They are a buger to fit I got mine to fit after several tries just kinda even the tabs out to where they will catch. I started to use the old one,but the sock on the sending unit was gone. I've had mine on sence Jan. and no leak yet.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I just did it a couple of months ago. I had to have an extra set of hands to push down on two of the tabs while I taped it with a hammer. I'm glad it's tight, but it is a pain in the butt.

Bartonatl

Loc.
Atlanta
I just changed mine and I felt like the fuel pick-up filter was hitting the bottom of the tank, preventing the nre sender from sitting in straight. I took the filter off, bent the tube up just a bit, put the filter back on, and it installed nicely. The tabs did need adjusting too, like you said. Just a little more info. to think about. Good luck.