• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help. Newbie, and not a mechanic. Thanks in adavance.

CRIMSONTIDE

Just replaced my 302 with a rebuilt 351. Truck drove fine for a week. Now it wont start. I know its either how i have it wired or something is going on with the fuel. I have replaced the battery and alternator. Its turning over so i know it isnt the starter. I cant read wiring diagrams whatsoever, so does anyone have a simple idea of how to run the wires? Im running my one wire alternator straight to the batter and I have it grounded. Im running my battery to the solenoid, and im running my solenoid to the starter. Im at work right now and cant remember how i have the ignition wire running. Now, my old 302 alternator had three wires running to the back, and im assuming these were regulator wires and what else i have no idea. Again, please be patient with me, because ive just started working on vehicles in the last month. Ive poured a little gas in the carb and i still cant get it to crank. Ive replaced the fuel filter also. Any ideas?

*****UPDATE****

Guys, thank you so much. Turns out, the wire going from the distributor to the coil was loose. No metal contact. I never would have even thought of checking something so trivial w/o your help. Thanks again!!!

Last edited:

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
The alternator has nothing to do with starting, just keeping the battery charged.

Things required for statr are fuel, air, spark. Check the plugs, coil, timing, and spark plug wires. You have fuel and youhave air. Make sure the +/- wires are firm on the coil.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
When you pour gas in the carb, does it do anything at all?

x2 on checking + - wires to the coil.

Make sure the coil wire is pressed firmly down on both the coil and dizzy. (don't ask me how I found that out).

OP
OP
C

CRIMSONTIDE

It does nothing when i pour gas in the carb, just continues to turn over but not fire. Ill check the coil when i get home, but just put new wires on there recently...plugs, plug wires, and timing were just done. I know its something very simple that im overlooking. Thats kind of why i was wondering if there was a picture of a wiring diagram, because i may have messed something up when i changed alternators because those three wires are just taped off now. BUT, im leaning more towards a fuel problem/bad carb.

Outlaw Bronco

Loc.
Shenandoah, VA
Like other's have said check for a spark!

A simple & safe way to check this is to pull one of your spark plugs out of the head, put the ignition wire back on it, connect a jumper cable to the steel part of the plug and the other end to the battery negative. Using this method you will not have to hold the plug to ground it and see what's happening.

Using the ignition key, have someone try to start the engine while you look for a spark at the plug!

OP
OP
C

CRIMSONTIDE

thanks for all the info. ill get back to yall later on what works and what doesnt. i hope its the coil connections...

OP
OP
C

CRIMSONTIDE

i replaced the alternator because i thought it was bad and the truck was running off the battery, but with the battery charged and alternator replaced, it still wont fire.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Check for spark. also check for power at the coil. What igintion are you runing? Could have anything from a bad coil, to bad igintion module, bad distributer or bad ignition feed wire.. As was said alternator has nothing to due with starting if the engine cranks it should run without a alternator.

OP
OP
C

CRIMSONTIDE

***UPDATE***

Guys, thank you so much. Turns out, the wire going from the distributor to the coil was loose. No metal contact. I never would have even thought of checking something so trivial w/o your help. Thanks again!!!

robinsoncc

Coat your wiring connections with a light adhesive will work apply after the connection is made.
Nail polish works good also. Just a dab will lock that connection if it is a nut type.