• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help on camshaft synchronizer replacement

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
So I picked up a 1998 explorer donor and decided I would drive it a bit to make sure the engine was good before putting in the bronco. So sure enough it started making a tapping sound at idle and would get faster as RPM raised. At first I thought exhaust leak then I thought maybe a fuel injector. Took it to parts store to pull code and it was camshaft position sensor. So I picked one up came home and thought 30 min fix right..... When I got the sensor off it was exploded inside. Metal chunks everywhere. The half moon button on camshaft synchronizer was all bent up. I cleaned the chunks up and put old sensor back on and yep it started but the tap seems louder. Back to part store in my truck now and they don't carry the camshaft synchronizer so only ford does I guess. Went to ford and they had to order it. Gets here Monday. Dealer said it takes a special tool to install it but they don't sell them. Part store does according to ford😡😡😡.

So my questions
1. Will it Hurt anything driving it as is?
2. Has anyone done this before? If so any advice will be appreciated.
3. Where to get the special tool.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Oreillys carries that sensor. The tool also, OTC 6469

You can also buy kits that have all the tools for all size ford engines.

Tim

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Here is the EFI guy picture of cam sensor tools...

Some replacements come with the tool... I do not remember if the Ford replacement does... I went through a few Chinese replacements that made noise from NAPA, before I spent the $$ at Ford.

Here is a generic document that I pasted together as a reference...

Attachments

• Camsensors.jpg
    Camsensors.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Ford Explorer Camshaft Position Sensor Install - PDF.pdf
    196.9 KB · Views: 53

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Could probably find a decent sensor at the pic and pull. I didn't use any special tool when I installed mine. just eye-balled it...

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
904bronco did you have a hard time lining it up? I can't find what degree it should be at. I seen a YouTube video saying it should be 15 degrees from centerline but that was a 4.0

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
904bronco thanks for the PDF file. All thanks for your help this is a awesome site! Now a weekend off and no parts to work on the bronco.