• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help on LED Dash Light Bar install

DFWBroncoNewbie

HI Folks,

I bought the LED Dash Light Bar kit and am stumped on how to install it. I removed the lights from the dash but that was the easy part. How do I install the LEDs in the fragile plastic holder the original bulbs were in. Does anyone have any pics of their install?

Attachments

• LED 2.jpg
    LED 2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 88
  • LED1.jpg
    LED1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 97
  • LED3.jpg
    LED3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 82

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haven't seen it done, but I would think you'd drill a single hole out the middle (where the old contacts are), put a lamp in each bay that calls for one, connect the lamps together (red to red, black to black) then run a single pair or wires out the hole.

If you wanted to save the non-replaceable center contacts though, you could drill out the back of each bay and run the wires of each lamp out the back, then combine them outside of the housing.

Since they're LED's, they can be all combined on to one power source without trouble.
Did you check with Chuck or Jason about this?

Oh, and it looks like your "easy removal" has something to do with a pry bar, or very strong fingers!
They do get brittle though, so sometimes it doesn't take much force to crack one up good. Patch it up with some plastic and glue though, and you should be good to go I would think.

When you find out the proper procedure, let us know how it works out.

Paul

1966bajabronco

I'd do what dirtdonk says and drill in new holes... being that it's already broken a couple more nice clean round holes won't matter, and will ease installation.

OP
OP
DFWBroncoNewbie

DFWBroncoNewbie

Thanks for the tip Dirt.

I need to go buy a Dremel, I'm afraid my drill will break these fragile plasitc light housing pieces. Does anyone know where I can get some new plastic pieces in case I shater these in the process?

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I suggest you use a drill,just start out small and increase size a couple times. Don't know of a replacement,but any used will be as old and brittle. Just not broken.:(

OP
OP
DFWBroncoNewbie

DFWBroncoNewbie

Project done!

Thanks Izzy for all your Dremel skills ~ It was ALL Dremel! One quick tip, do not make the hole too big or you'll have wiggle with the LEDS. We learned on the first hole, but the other 4 turned out perfect. If anyone is looking to do this project, shoot me a message and I can walk you through.