• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help on ordering MSD distributor

Mikes71bronco

Basically I need to know what are my options without having to spend another $400 on a ignition control module? Part # would be helpful. They offer a ready to run part # 8352. Anyone have any luck with this or suggest getting it? I don't mind spending money for quality parts just don't want to kick myself in a month for buying one over another. It is a stock 302 that I plan on putting a edlebrock 4barrel on and Holley truck avenger 670 carb. Thanks ahead of time for any and all info. Cam specs my 1971 bronco may help also.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
You could run a stock Duraspark distributor. You didn't say what year you have, if you already have an MSD ignition box, or Duraspark already. Stock Duraspark distributor will work with an MSD ignition box if you have one already. I've been happy with my Duraspark ignition and distributor setup. Stock parts, can buy them anywhere, can get them at junk yards. Others will chime in with their experience/views.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Mallory is twice as good as the MSD crap

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
That might be too much carb for that engine. Lots of discussions about it on here. I went woth a 500 cfm for a similar engine. Truck's in pieces right now so no solid info. Worth a thought though.

OP
OP
M

Mikes71bronco

Thanks for all the advice. I honestly didn't have any experience with distributor brands good or bad so this is exactly what I need. My truck is a 1971 bronco stock 302. I have not purchased the distributor yet. I asked on the forum first before making my decision. Any and all suggestions on a solid distributor for a decent price would be great. I will look into some of the suggestions mentioned. As for the carb I haven't bought that yet either but I work at a machine shop and a friend has a Heep he's building and believe it or not the carb is too small for his set up. Engine doesn't get enough gas. Long story short he's offering it up for only $300. It's brand new other than running a few times. Thanks for all the advice. It's greatly appreciated

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I've got HEI on one of mine. It's big, and the previous owner had to cut the hood support brace to fit it. Pertronix is a good option. Either the entire distributor, or just upgrade the stock distributor with their module to eliminate the points. I went with a Duraspark distributor and ignition module on my '68 so that I could get parts locally. I also didn't want the large HEI distributor on the '68. It interferes with the Autolite 4100 carb and fuel line I have.

https://bzerob2.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/ford-duraspark-upgrade-2/
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/default.aspx
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Pertronix-Solid-State-Electronic-Ignition/productinfo/18510/
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Pertronix-Solid-State-Ignitor-II-Electronic-Ignition/productinfo/18505/
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/dist/billet.aspx
http://pertronix.shptron.com/p/dist-billet-ford-sb-black-cap?pp=8

Last edited:

TOOLMAN

Thanks for all the advice. I honestly didn't have any experience with distributor brands good or bad so this is exactly what I need. My truck is a 1971 bronco stock 302. I have not purchased the distributor yet. I asked on the forum first before making my decision. Any and all suggestions on a solid distributor for a decent price would be great. I will look into some of the suggestions mentioned. As for the carb I haven't bought that yet either but I work at a machine shop and a friend has a Heep he's building and believe it or not the carb is too small for his set up. Engine doesn't get enough gas. Long story short he's offering it up for only $300. It's brand new other than running a few times. Thanks for all the advice. It's greatly appreciated

I have an HEI unit I bought from JBG a few years ago that served me well if you're interested (PM me). I went to EFI and don't need it anymore. New cap, rotor, coil and wires last year.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Mallory is twice as good as the MSD crap
Although my experience is just the reverse of that, 2 times zero is still Zero. :)

Did a Dura-Spark conversion on my '67 Ranchero's mild 302. Ran good and reliable, but thought that I might do better with an MSD 6A. Made the wiring so that I could swap back easily (6A has D-S II module connectors on it). Nope, not much difference. Chasing a gremlin a while later I swapped the D-S II module back onto the car. And never removed it. There was no point in having the MSD on a mild engine. The D-S II system worked, and has OEM durability behind it. Something no aftermarket parts have.

69_Sport

I vote for the Ford Duraspark. You can get one at any auto parts store for around $75 rebuilt. Will run forever. Parts available everywhere.

I have a Pertronix conversion in the stock dist on my Bronco. Runs fine. Had one on my Shelby and it ran fine, too.

If you ignore the advice and buy an aftermarket dist, at least be sure to buy one with vacuum advance.

I have an MSD on one of my other cars and it has been worry free. But it's about 15 years old, built in the US before their move to China. I have heard a lot of griping since on other forums. Not sure I'd buy one today.

Mallory was just bought by MSD. Saw the announcement just the other day.

KBUCK1

I have the msd ready to run on mine. been very pleased so far. Ive ready on this forum where many say msd is junk. Maybe it is, Im not sure. I will say this, my engine builder is as peculiar as they come and has been building engines close to 40 years. I told him what everyone on here said about the msd stuff when he recommended one to me during my build and his response was " the people that said that must not be a very good mechanic"
There may be some people that have had problems, but if im a betting man I would bet most of the people that say they are junk are going by what others have told them and not personal experience. I opted to go the ready to run route because I wanted my engine bay to be as clean and simple as possible. Good luck with whatever you decide

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
No experience with the RTR dizzy's, just the 6's, 7's, and one or two of the 8's. Some of this in the real world, most on a dyno at the racing engine shop that I used to do fab work for. I've seen them perform flawlessly and I've seen them act up with no options to cure it left. Can't say that I've ever seen one just flat die.

What I have seen is no real gain other than a lighter wallet when used on a mild engine. I think that the advance curve is more important on a mild engine than is any sort of ignition box.

C Saporito

I have the msd ready to run on mine. been very pleased so far. Ive ready on this forum where many say msd is junk. Maybe it is, Im not sure. I will say this, my engine builder is as peculiar as they come and has been building engines close to 40 years. I told him what everyone on here said about the msd stuff when he recommended one to me during my build and his response was " the people that said that must not be a very good mechanic"
There may be some people that have had problems, but if im a betting man I would bet most of the people that say they are junk are going by what others have told them and not personal experience. I opted to go the ready to run route because I wanted my engine bay to be as clean and simple as possible. Good luck with whatever you decide

I agree, I've used MSD ignition products for more years than I'd like to say. As with most electronics you need to be careful and read the directions, I've seen them installed in "bowl of spaghetti" style wiring and occasionaly fail but almost never fail in a newly wired hot rod or race car. The newer model ignition systems are protected better also.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wow B-Man I'm going to order myself one for my Bronco project in my shop. I think that'll be better at $37.00. Than putting point condenser & a new coil in it. One wire & Ve'room.
...... Thanks.