• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help. Rear driveshaft is too long after full restore

Sc300insc

Loc.
Charleston
I purchased a 1977 bronco with a fiberglass body in February. It came with what I thought is 2 1/2" suspension lift 2 " body lift. Had blocks in the rear and I believe stock leafs. And had coils in the front that measure 18" out of the vehicle. Believe they are rancho springs
Both driveshafts where installed when I bought the bronco

I have taken it down to frame installed a 2 1/2" suspension with new leafs. No blocks. Same shacks. Same engine Trans and Dana 20. Had the rear end services all new seals and bearings. Front drive shafts mounts with no issues. Checked to see if leafs where installed the correct way. They are. They have the kink near the eyelet in the back. The rear shackles are I believe the correct direction the open side is to the rear. With all the leaf spring shackle bolts loose and the the frame lifted off the ground. I pushed the suspension to full drop with pry bar and the drive shaft is still too long.
The bronco has a fiberglass body and it off the frame so it should have even more space.
The rear driveshaft is fully compressed to it shortest length
Not sure. It this had a lenghten drive shaft. Wondering what was shock length
When it is sitting on the ground the rear shackles are at 12 o'clock. Straight up

Pictures to come when I can figure how to add them

OP
OP
S

Sc300insc

Loc.
Charleston
Ok. I tried to get the pics from my iPhone on here but can't seem to get it figured out

I have a measurement of my rear drive shift not sure if this is stock or not. Measuring from center of rear u joint to center of the front cv joint is 35 1/2 with drive shaft at the shortest possible length.

Also have a measurement with rear leaf spring removed. Putting a 4' level on the front and rear eyelets. The measuring the furthest drop to center of arch next to centering bolt is 6 7/8''
I think I might have an extended driveshaft with stock springs.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I have a measurement of my rear drive shift not sure if this is stock or not. Measuring from center of rear u joint to center of the front cv joint is 35 1/2 with drive shaft at the shortest possible length.

Here's some info on measuring for length. I believe stock is around 33-1/2".

OP
OP
S

Sc300insc

Loc.
Charleston
So after calling. Jeff bronco graveyard today. And asking about the 2 1/2" suspension lift kit I purchased from them. They tell me the front coils are a 2 1/2" lift from stock. But the new 5 piece leafs are at stock height. They say it's a leveling kit. Really can't believe that the rear leafs domes at only stock height

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not all Broncos need a leveling kit. And 2.5" is a LOT of level even for a tail-high Bronco I would think.

First things first though. With all this measuring, you might as well see where you fall right now with the full weight of the vehicle on the ground. Is it fully loaded yet by the way?
If anything is missing, such as the engine, bumpers, fuel tank or hard top, that can effect your ride height.

Measuring between the bottom of the frame rail and the top of the axle tubes, you should be seeing approximately 9.5" in the front (7" is stock) and 8.5" in the rear (6" is stock). If you have stock height springs in the back, then you might be closer to that 6" though.
You might also get skewed measurements because some leaf packs sit high for a time until they settle. As far as our own go, the lifted springs sit higher than expected for a time, but the stock height ones don't really sit high in the beginning. Very likely Jeff's are the same, or at least similar in that regard.
But measuring will tell the tale.

Now to the shaft, you do NOT usually need a longer shaft for lifts up to 3.5" even with the modern springs. For our 3.5" lifts, it's maybe less than 10% of Broncos need a longer shaft. Stock length is plenty for most of us, but unfortunately, "every Bronco is different" which is why we offer different sizes right off-the-shelf, as well as custom sizes. You just never know until you do what you're doing right now. Measure with the full weight of the truck on the suspension.

Like Glass Pony said, stock is about 33.5" from yoke to yoke, so your actual driveshaft length would be shorter than that when fully compressed.
Sounds like yours is too long by enough to be giving you this issue of not even being able to bolt it up. Your previous lift blocks were probably why the PO got a longer shaft, but yours is pretty darn long even for that. Did you notice when you took it off, whether it was almost fully compressed or not?
If you happen to still have the blocks, what do they measure in their center? Maybe they were taller than 2.5?

Either way, set the Bronco down with the full weight on the suspension and measure between the yokes to see what you have.
Just so we're on the same page (because maybe not all manufacturers use the same method) here's the method we use to determine length: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Early_Bronco_Driveshafts

If your suspension is not sitting the way you want, and the pinion angle is not perfectly aligned, then don't bother taking measurements until they are both within spec. Or you might end up with another driveshaft of the wrong length.

If you need to know more about the pinion angle (has a great deal of effect on driveshaft length) let us know.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Sc300insc

Loc.
Charleston
I found the set of block that were on the bronco with old lift. They measure just under 2". Installed them with the new springs and now everything fits. Driveshaft is extended only about 1/2" with no body on.

I think it messed up that Jeff bronco graveyard 2 1/2" kit with springs has no increase from stock in the rear. But there cheaper 2 1/2" kit with no springs comes with an add a leaf.

Attac

Contributor
I found the set of block that were on the bronco with old lift. They measure just under 2". Installed them with the new springs and now everything fits. Driveshaft is extended only about 1/2" with no body on.

I think it messed up that Jeff bronco graveyard 2 1/2" kit with springs has no increase from stock in the rear. But there cheaper 2 1/2" kit with no springs comes with an add a leaf.

I had to buy a WH driveshaft for my 5.5" lift that was longer. I am doing another 5.5" in my sons so I was gonna buy another extended one. If you want a good factory Drive shaft I will trade you out.
Just an option for ya.
Chuck