• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help Spending Money!!

75Bronc

So I just sold an FJ40 for $5,000. All of which is now Bronco money! This bronco is going to be a daily driver, hunting rig, with the occasional rock crawling trip. I would say 50% on road 50% Off. I would like to take this to Moab and the Rubicon some day.

Right now I have 3.5" BCB springs all the way around and 2" body lift. Billstein 7100's in front and back. F150 front mounts and inboard shock mount rear. Stock radius arms, Detroit Locker in rear (28 spline). Open front Dana 44. Tired C4, Edelbrock Carb. Disc brakes in front. Interior is pretty gutted, no carpet, no rear seat. Stock bumpers. I do have a family roll cage. Current tie rod is bent. Stock steering box in good condition. Good strong 302. 35" tires, good tread.

Here are my wants:
FiTech
NP435 with supercrawler (t-case doubler)
Extended Radius Arms
Steering linkage upgrade
Aussie Locker in Front
Bumpers
Winch
Gears
Rear Seat
Carpet?
Doors need to be rebuild, glass is scratched and rattle like crazy.
Need drop pitman or trac bars drop, steering bars are rolling.

Help me figure out how to best upgrade my bronco with the money I have. What is the best steering upgrade for my application? What are the best radius arms? Is the NP435 super crawler my best option? I already have the transmission. Should I go with the 600HP FiTech or the 400HP? The 400 does not have the timing control or some other features.

Thanks!!

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I'd stick with the important but basic stuff first. Get damn good brakes! Then get your steering corrected, I like Ruff Stuffs one ton steering. Get an alignment! Third get your door corrected and then new gaskets all around to keep that heat in.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
The NP435 is not very street friendly, meaning it shifts like an old truck but off road it's pretty good. I switched to a ZF5 speed and like it lots better than the 435 but it's longer so that comes into play with a doubler, you run out of room for the driveshaft. Steering is a priority, a track bar riser off the axle is better than dropping it. If you're going to off road 50% I'd consider going to 31 spline rear axles too. I think you can just change the side gears to 31 splines to keep your current locker.

OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

I have driven quite a few pickups with the old 4 speed granny, I don't mind it too much. And with the doubler I think I can gear it high enough to be good on the highway and low enough to crawl in the rocks. I think it is the best choice economically.

Anyone else have thoughts on how to spend this money?

OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

I'd stick with the important but basic stuff first. Get damn good brakes! Then get your steering corrected, I like Ruff Stuffs one ton steering. Get an alignment! Third get your door corrected and then new gaskets all around to keep that heat in.

I have power disc brakes in the front. I am happy with those. I am very interested in the Ruff Stuff steering. Do they have a kit specific for our broncos? Do I need to call them and make something custom?

Last edited:
OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

What is the difference in High Steer and Tie Rod Over? The high steer kit is twice the money. Is it necessary? Or should I just get the Y Link and do TRO?

JSmall

Bronco Guru
What is the difference in High Steer and Tie Rod Over? The high steer kit is twice the money. Is it necessary? Or should I just get the Y Link and do TRO?

You will need to purchase aftermarket knuckles or machine your knuckles for the high steer arms. I'm not sure if machining the stock Ford knuckles is even an option. I'm sure someone will chime in and explain

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I can't just ream my current knuckles to the GM taper?

Yes you can. I purchased the reamer to do just that. I ended up reaming my pitman arm and then decided to drill out my knuckles and use their inserts.

I was referring to new knuckles or machining your stock knuckles if you wanted to use the high steer arms

OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

What is the purpose of the high steer arm? Did you use them? Can't I just ream my knuckle and put the tie rod end in? What does the high steer arm do?

JSmall

Bronco Guru
What is the purpose of the high steer arm? Did you use them? Can't I just ream my knuckle and put the tie rod end in? What does the high steer arm do?

It gets the tie rod out of the way even more. I am sure there are other benefits. I did not use them because it would have been more work to get them to work for me and the up-travel I wanted. Here is a shot of them in use...

Attachments

• 2007_03168-26-060015.jpg
    2007_03168-26-060015.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

Will the Ruff Stuff Dana 44 High Steer arms bolt to my current stock knuckles?

OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

Thanks for the info, I will just go GM one tons TRO. I will team it. That should work right?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Places your planning to go you will need armor for your rocker panels. If you rockers are bad already then I would do the square tube conversion. Don't wait to smash up the rockers and screw up your doors. Your rockers must be made strong enough to hold the weight of the Bronco.