• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help transmission

Nick163hunter

Okay so I hate automatics and my truck was originally a c-4 transmission and I sold it. I have a stock 302 and a new bell-housing that bolts up to a np435. But I need a transfer case. Can i just use a stock dana 20? or do i have to use something else.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Nick. Welcome to classicbroncos.
With the right parts, you should have no trouble putting your old D20 back up behind a 435. Pretty sure that would be the easiest.
Obviously you could use a donor NP case (203 or 205) from behind an NP435, or even go whole hog and get an Atlas. Or even get something else.
But depending on what you intend to do I still think the Dana 20 is the best choice.

Do you have the intermediate housing (adapter housing) behind the new transmission? Do you still have the one that was between the old auto and the t-case? If so it should be pretty straightforward swap.
If you don't have any of those parts, we have this full kit: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/NP435_T18_to_dana20_Adapter/Bronco_3-Speed_Transmission that should help.
If you've got what you need though, you're in business.

I'm sure plenty of members here have done what you're doing. So someone will likely post up just exactly what else you might need. If anything.

Good luck.

Paul

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
Bc broncos and others make an adapter plate that let's you use the Dana 20 behind the np435 you need a 6cyl adapter housing and Spud shaft, advanced adapters (wild horses and others sell)makes a full kit to do this also...... but the very first thing you need to know is the output spline count on the np435 they could be 28,31,or32 splines, YOU NEED 28 SPLINES. or you will have to change your main shaft. If you have 31 splines an np205 may be the best option for you.....if you need the 6cyl housing and Spud shaft pm me I might have a set left.... Good luck!