• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help W/ front coilovers

303bronco

Hey All!

This is my first post but I have been reading on here for a while.

Quick history:
My Dad and I recently inherited a 1969 Bronco 302 that my grandfather purchased new. It is pretty decent mechanical condition but is a little rough on the exterior. We are excited to try and restore this family keepsake to its original glory.

Question:
This truck originally had a snow plow on the front and it has these coilovers that we can not find in any of the parts magazines. I'm wondering if it was part of a snow plow package, or if it was something that was out on aftermarket? We are looking to find replacements as these are pretty beat up.
9udutyda.jpg
baheda2e.jpg
ymyrynem.jpg
dasu3aba.jpg

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Those are aftermarket units. Monroe sold most of them under the "Load Leveler" brand. There was also a brand called "Four Way Equalizer". In any case, they're old school and I'd take them off, throw them in the trash, and buy a nice set of modern shocks to replace them.

Todd Z.

PaveBronco

Welcome, looks in good shape for being a snow plow truck in Colorado, you can lose the shocks with the coilovers, throw on the reg shocks and drive on. keep the posts and pics coming, the folks on this site have saved me all kinds of time and money with their expert knowhow.

OP
OP
303bronco

303bronco

Thanks! The amount of knowledge on here is insane. If it can be done someone on here has probably done it.

OP
OP
303bronco

303bronco

It needs new weather seals all around. Any recommendations on those?

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Welcome. We all like neat stories and you being the third generation for the same Bronco is cool. Keep us posted with pictures, without them you won't get help, just kidding. You're right about this site, even something that hasn't been done can be figured out by the experts on here!

OP
OP
303bronco

303bronco

We are looking to put a 2.5 in lift on it. Any recommendations on a set up? And is there a tire fitment guide?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
We are looking to put a 2.5 in lift on it. Any recommendations on a set up? And is there a tire fitment guide?

Go to WildHorses4x4.com.
2.5" lift with the Bilstein shock option. Best thing going right now.
They have a tire fitment guide. But you could run 33" x 12.50" tires on 10" wheels if you cut the fenders.

OP
OP
303bronco

303bronco

What if we leave them uncut. We want to kind of keep it originalish...

Kinda restomod

OP
OP
303bronco

303bronco

Update:

This has been sort of a long process and I would like to convert this into a build thread. I apologize in advance if This is not the place.

We have gotten some of the mechanical stuff worked out and removed the carpet and seats.

6b5221c8fab882b0ccf13da7bee97161.jpg
5274b96b6ef2e27757d932dd58dc275c.jpg
6d1cd3d5cb0224a9eeac4236b63f471d.jpg
88dfd21f08bd12dd6581fd4a5b4f8a4c.jpg

What order do we need to do this project in?

1. Body work
2. Paint
3. Spray line floor
4. Weather seals/trim
5. Lift and wheels

It also looks like the floor pans and rockers will need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk