• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need help with removal of header bolt

citykid

Loc.
Baton Rouge
I can't find a tool or any room to get this bolt. I know this has had to happen to someone. Share the knowledge

Attachments

• 20130717_172122.jpg
    20130717_172122.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 20130717_172226.jpg
    20130717_172226.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 89

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sacrifice a good quality open end wrench, cut it off about 3 inches long and then flatten the rounded sides of the opening with a grinder to allow a better bite on the bolt head. Needs to be a good American made wrench to be strong enough. I have a couple I have made and used for years. Good luck

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
box end wrench to break the torque, then wobbly socket of correct size with extensions.

And PB blaster to help.

OP
OP
citykid

citykid

Loc.
Baton Rouge
I cant get a socket on the bolt because to close to pipes. I will cut a wrench and try to use that to get to that one side. thanks for the help .

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've got one just like that. Short open end wrench. You need to angle it so the wrench and your hand is under the tunnel behind the head. Then you get about 1/16 of a turn, flip the wrench over, get another 1/16 turn, then repeat until you drop the wrench.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
There is such a thing as an "offset wrench" out there. It is an open end wrench with both ends at weird angles to normal wrenches. They have gotten me out of a lot of tight places. You will have to do the "flip flop" thing but it should work as good or better than making your own "specialty" tool.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
PB Blaster soaked for 24 hrs may help. Run motor to operating temps, try to remove then but be careful dont burn yourself! Id also try a battery powered impact gun, they work wonders for us when removing stuck bolts on jets.

ryansbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The place of bronco
I have a wrench that my dad made its bent like a horseshoe. Besides soaking it in blaster use a long punch and smack it a few times. You can also try to tighten and the go back to loosen. Just don't round the head off.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I recently ran into the same problem. I was replacing the Header gasket on a 351...The 7/16 ..bolt heads were so close to the pipes....It became a comedy routine trying to find the RIGHT SOCKET THAT FITS. THE SHOP WHO INSTALLED THE HEADERS DIDNT TIGHTEN THEM UP....ON A COUPLE IT TOOK 1/4 DRIVE SHORT WITH SWIVELS....ON A FEW IT TOOK3/8 ..DRIVE UNIVERSAL SOCKET.....NOT A CRAFTSMAN, OR NAPA, ...IT TOOK A SNAP-ON UNIVERSAL....A VERY THIN SOCKET......I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT. A ALLEN HEAD SET .....WOULD HAVE TO WAIT AS NO ONE STOCKS....WTF.....!!!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Worse case cut the head off, then weld a nut to it once you have the header off. Replace with bolts that have the center allen and use a pivot allen wrench. Get it tight, then get a wrench on it to finish it off.