• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need info installing a dana 60 front end

76bronco4x4

i have eb that im goin to put a d60 front and 10.25'' rear and i would like to get some ideas on how to install the d60 has any one tried leafs up front if so i would like to see photos of how you installed them

Last edited:

Familyman

Check out my post it has that exact set-up.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56938
The front is full width with a new set of C's welded in place (Got em thru Duff), custom high steer (Parts Mike), standard chevy TRE drag link and tie rod, custom trac bar with Rubicon express joint and heim. The front I had installed by a guy local to me, I might try it myself next timebut it was money well spent since the c's require more exact placement and if that 60 isn't place right you get a horrible case of Death Wobble. The rear is easy but mine was 3.5" narrower then my front so we relocated the spring perchs and added 1.75" spacers. It sits square and rolls down the street at 65mph with no problem, can't go much faster with the 4:88 and 34" garage tires I have now but wait till I get my 40's ;D . Hope it goes well and ask all the questions you can I am sure somebody here or at classic can help. FM

Familyman

Here is my set-up sounds like what you are doing.

Attachments

• D60 front 2.jpg
    D60 front 2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 70
  • D60 front.jpg
    D60 front.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 10.25 rear.jpg
    10.25 rear.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 66

tonto

Bronco Guru
Hey Familyman, how about some side shots of your Dana 60, I’d like to see your pinion angle.
What lift are your front coils?
Did they clock your knuckles so when they corrected the pinion angle it wouldn’t effect you caster?
What about spacers between where the C-cap attaches to the radius arm to compensate for the larger dia tube?

I’m in the process of doing the D-60 install up front, I found to go 5x5.5 wheel bolt pattern it was easier to use Chevy / dodge D-60 stuff from the knuckles out mainly knuckles & spindles and then buy the conversion parts which consist of Chevy / Dodge rotors, hubs, caliper & caliper mounting brackets from ventures parts the calipers are half ton.
Do a search, there is a way to use the Ford hub with a a half ton rotor and caliper also, requires machine work.
Here are some pic's of where I'm at on mine, I'll get some better pic's in the next day or so and post them up.
Later, Francois.

Attachments

• 60 drvbksd II.jpg
    60 drvbksd II.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 47
  • shaved.jpg
    shaved.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 34
  • gap spacers III.jpg
    gap spacers III.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Dana 60 bksd.jpg
    Dana 60 bksd.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
76bronco4x4

76bronco4x4

i do like your set up im also looking into putting leafs up front and i also thought of doing 4 link but your idea is new to me and i like your idea better than my others but one thing i would like to know is the cost of having someone put the c's on because im on a tight buget thank you

tonto

Bronco Guru
Ahh I guess I missed that you’re using the 10.25 in the rear, so you’ll go with the 8 lug wheel bolt pattern.
I don’t think running leaf springs in the front has any advantage and a lot of dis-advantages, I would go 3 or 4 link or traditional radius arm / trak bar and if you going with radius arms get and earlier D-60 that has a little more tube on the drivers side to attach the wedges to.
A D-60 hi-pinion only came on full size trucks which obviously are much longer than the E.B. and when you put it under an E.B. the pinion will pretty much point straight back at the rear axle, that’s why it’s best to re-orientate or clock the inner C’s that the knuckles attach to so you can get the correct pinion angle and keep the castor correct and then attach the C-bushing wedges, so you don’t wonder around on the pavement when driving it down the road, doing all this is fairly involved.
Prices vary on this mod from region to region and shop to shop, might call Dynatrak to get a base on what a shop might charge to do this, the shop that did mine gets approx. $500.00 maybe a little less, there was some horse trading between me and the shop so I don’t remember the exact amount, I had the bottom shaved and a locker and gears installed along with turning the C”s and installing the wedges, total was about $1500.00 and I’m also a friend of the shop.
At this point and for others thinking of doing this, I don’t think I would go with a D-60 if I did this again, it’s massive under there which creates oil pan & exhaust issues which can be solved with 5”s plus of lift, but that’s to high for my tastes, it wouldn’t be very much more as far as cost of obtaining a D-60 and converting it to 5 x 5.5 and setting it up with gears & locker and getting it set up to go into an E.B. to go with a 9” with D-60 outers on it, much less mass and fits a lot nicer under the front of an E.B.
Good luck, Francois.

23firefly

PHP:
At this point and for others thinking of doing this, I don’t think I would go with a D-60 if I did this again, it’s massive under there which creates oil pan & exhaust issues which can be solved with 5”s plus of lift, but that’s to high for my tastes, it wouldn’t be very much more as far as cost of obtaining a D-60 and converting it to 5 x 5.5 and setting it up with gears & locker and getting it set up to go into an E.B. to go with a 9” with D-60 outers on it, much less mass and fits a lot nicer under the front of an E.B.
Good luck, Francois

Hey, I'm thinking about converting to a D-60 up front. You guys that have done it already, what would you change?

Francois.....I'm not sure I understand what your saying about how you wouldn't do this converstion again. Could you tell me alittle more. Would be nice to learn from the expirence you have gained.

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
I have been planning on putting a 60 under mine for some time now. They are massive front ends and work very well for what I do. But I agree with Tonto about the 9 inch with 60 outers. I have decided to go with one of these 609 seems to be the best for a Bronco.