• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need opinion on which LED headlight upgrade is the best?

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have seen kits from $230 to $600 and not everyone list all the specs.

Some show
nothing
Lumens
Raw Lumens
Beam Distance
Color
or a mix of 2
nobody is consistent enough to compare online

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
what do you want out of it?
beam pattern important?
just super bright?
oem vintage look vs alien eyes?

OP
OP
77BroncoWag

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I want better than OEM. Better road driving and off road. I do have other lights for off road but if there is something out there that can do both...
would rather have the whiter color vs halogen yellow. Beam pattern would be a normal DOT I guess

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have these in my DD. Led Light

Huge improvement over stock, budget friendly, no complaints from others about being too bright on the road and bright enough I don’t feel the need for additional offroad lighting. They aren’t OEM in appearance but aren’t crazy alien eyes either.

1662236909407.jpeg

yakelys69

thanks 77BroncoWag for the thread and input from Yeller, looks like something that will work for me.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I have to repeat a Q already asked-

Budget
Stock look
Or both?

Really these two must be answered first then go from there. I did a write up on what several have agreed is the most stock looking, high quality LED headlight.

Then it's about money-huge spread there.

You can buy an LED bulb/light to put in your halogen housing but that doesn't mean it will be "brighter" and brighter has absolutely n o t h i n g to do with beam pattern and getting all that "brightness" to the road out in front of you so lumen output is extremely deceiving-hence posted numbers don'tmean much.

I haven't tested the KC or Holley because the KC led hdlt is 3X the cost of the Grotes and the Holley Retrofit is almost 2x the cost of the Grotes but I did compare the Grotes to 3 other LED headlights and my 2018 F150 & CRV. The Grotes had much better beam pattern and reached out farther. I posted pics showing the differences.

Grotes are one of the most stock looking 7" replacements that have an extremely good beam pattern & light output for almost 1/2 the price of Holley and 1/3 the price of the KC led replacement lights of you want a stock look. These are the top two looking lights that don't look like they belong on an alien spaceship. :(

I think the Holleys are going for $200 ea and I just paid $110 each for another pair of Grotes.

Money no object and stock look? I'd go:
1st -KC's
2nd- Holley Retrofit
3rd- Grotes

Personally, I don't like the look of some alien looking headlight on an EB. Same with 22" rims but that's a personally opinion from an old guy who has been daily driving Early Broncos since I bought mine in 1976.

Here's a good short thread here on CB
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/headlight-comparison-ipf-vs-holley-retrobright-led.316685/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220904-082038_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-082038_Gallery.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20220904-082053_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220904-082053_Gallery.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
77BroncoWag

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First is a good beam pattern and brighter and distance. We have LED on a lot of our work equipment because it is very bright and we don't need to see 50 yards in front of us lite up a pair of those are under $75, but obviously on the road at 60 mph we do need way more than that.
$ isn't really a factor to me. Unless 2 lights are so good and hard to choose between I would go the cheaper route.
Looks are secondary.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
the reason you don't see all specs listed for some of these lights is because they just aren't that impressive. if you want an affordable and bright option go for the grotes. if you want something better go on the The Retrofit Source site and check out the Holley, morimoto and other options there. IMO beam pattern is the most important. it doesn't do any good to have a super bright light that shines inconsistent or has a major hot spot that's useless

do yourself a favor and don't buy anything off amazon. quality is hit or miss and many of the vendors there are selling cheaper chinese stuff

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
It looks like on the very last "page" that this site & source is the same company that has the top three choices for hdlts. Morimoto brand.

Doesn't seem very impartial but I know they are reputable.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
they work very closely with morimoto yes. morimoto is one of the better aftermarket lighting companies in the retrofit scene. i believe holley teamed with them to make their retro headlights?

yakelys69

I have these in my DD. Led Light

Huge improvement over stock, budget friendly, no complaints from others about being too bright on the road and bright enough I don’t feel the need for additional offroad lighting. They aren’t OEM in appearance but aren’t crazy alien eyes either.

View attachment 888099
I was just checking up on this thread and realized the headlights in the pic don't look like the link. Also noticed the link has no reviews, can you confirm the link is correct?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I was just checking up on this thread and realized the headlights in the pic don't look like the link. Also noticed the link has no reviews, can you confirm the link is correct?
I went through my history and dug up my actual purchase.
Original purchase

In the pic they have a lot of splashing from muddy water. Here’s a better pic. They look dark during the day instead of bright and when I’m use the top 1/2 lights up on low beam and both on high beam.

Attachments

• 105C1F9A-F5ED-4B71-BD89-901267E774B1.jpeg
    105C1F9A-F5ED-4B71-BD89-901267E774B1.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 74

SickWhips

Contributor
5EE3FDEC-ED99-48A9-A4B4-2951F476628D.jpeg
Just put these from HIDProjectors.com on my cruiser. Night and day difference. Would recommend

Attachments

• C232F962-912E-4D12-BEDE-984B410BD36C.jpeg
    C232F962-912E-4D12-BEDE-984B410BD36C.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 42

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
^ i looked at these too before getting my grotes. i've done a few retrofits myself so their DIY kit seemed like a slam dunk. i may still have to give these a try. i wish i could see a beam pattern comparison between these and holley

yakelys69

Yeller, thanks - mine arrived today, purchased from the 1st less expensive link and the numbers on what I received cross reference to your 2nd link you posted. Will be testing them soon but and certain it will be an improvement over my old ones.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Yeller, thanks - mine arrived today, purchased from the 1st less expensive link and the numbers on what I received cross reference to your 2nd link you posted. Will be testing them soon but and certain it will be an improvement over my old ones.
Your welcome. Keep us posted, I hope your as happy as I am

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
In the pic they have a lot of splashing from muddy water. Here’s a better pic. They look dark during the day instead of bright and when I’m use the top 1/2 lights up on low beam and both on high beam.
Those look really similar to the Trucklites I put on my Rubi 7/8 years ago. Look dark and have the divider that splits the top and bottom like yours. They were steep when I got them and some places still have ridiculous prices on them but you can find them for 160 something. They‘ve been rock solid for me. They out do the two vehicles Mom has had an Enclave and an Edge. No. complaints from other drivers. They also have a more expensive version that’s heated in cold weather.

Scott