• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need opinion on which LED headlight upgrade is the best?

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the most expensive option known to man......ICON. But, I do like them a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9546.jpg
    IMG_9546.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9547.jpg
    IMG_9547.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
77BroncoWag

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have to repeat a Q already asked-

Budget
Stock look
Or both?

Really these two must be answered first then go from there. I did a write up on what several have agreed is the most stock looking, high quality LED headlight.

Then it's about money-huge spread there.

You can buy an LED bulb/light to put in your halogen housing but that doesn't mean it will be "brighter" and brighter has absolutely n o t h i n g to do with beam pattern and getting all that "brightness" to the road out in front of you so lumen output is extremely deceiving-hence posted numbers don'tmean much.

I haven't tested the KC or Holley because the KC led hdlt is 3X the cost of the Grotes and the Holley Retrofit is almost 2x the cost of the Grotes but I did compare the Grotes to 3 other LED headlights and my 2018 F150 & CRV. The Grotes had much better beam pattern and reached out farther. I posted pics showing the differences.

Grotes are one of the most stock looking 7" replacements that have an extremely good beam pattern & light output for almost 1/2 the price of Holley and 1/3 the price of the KC led replacement lights of you want a stock look. These are the top two looking lights that don't look like they belong on an alien spaceship. :(

I think the Holleys are going for $200 ea and I just paid $110 each for another pair of Grotes.

Money no object and stock look? I'd go:
1st -KC's
2nd- Holley Retrofit
3rd- Grotes

Personally, I don't like the look of some alien looking headlight on an EB. Same with 22" rims but that's a personally opinion from an old guy who has been daily driving Early Broncos since I bought mine in 1976.

Here's a good short thread here on CB
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/headlight-comparison-ipf-vs-holley-retrobright-led.316685/
Where did you get the Grotes?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
They have 20% off coupons every so often...

tomsoffroad76

Sponsor/Vendor
TOMS OFFROAD
I have seen kits from $230 to $600 and not everyone list all the specs.

Some show
nothing
Lumens
Raw Lumens
Beam Distance
Color
or a mix of 2
nobody is consistent enough to compare online
It can be difficult to tell the difference on all the different headlights simply by specs provided because they can be all over the place.

I can tell you that our #1477 LED Headlight Kit has excellent light output and one of the best beam patterns I have seen. For just $299 a set, they are tough to beat. https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-led-black-headlights

I also like the JW Speakers for performance which we sell here: https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-jw-speaker-led-black-headlights. However, for the price I still lean toward our #1477's.

If you want more classic styling with still incredible performance, we offer the KC HiLites Gravity LED Headlights here: https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-kc-hilites-gravity-chrome-led-headlights. The price isn't cheap, but the look and performance is incredible and you won't be disappointed.

Finally, we also offer a great economy option with classic styling and excellent light output. Our H4 LED Headlight Conversion #1473L uses LED bulbs in our chrome housing. For $169.95 including our HD wiring harness, these are tough to beat for the price. https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77-ford-bronco-h4-led-headlights

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They are pretty impressive.
I don’t have them, but a couple of the vehicles at work do.
I haven’t done a garage door test, but across the warehouse they put out a nice flat wide beam pattern that is easy to see even in the daylight.
Not inexpensive, but a very nice set up.

Waldo

Contributor
Do any of these versions have a daytime running light feature?

tomsoffroad76

Sponsor/Vendor
TOMS OFFROAD
Do any of these versions have a daytime running light feature?
Our 1477 LEDs do. Just have to wire them that way. They also can be wired so the appropriate left or right DRL will flash amber when your turn signal is on.

Waldo

Contributor
Our 1477 LEDs do. Just have to wire them that way.
I watched the 2 videos and I gather the daytime running light function of the halos will only work when the side/marker lights are on? There isn't a way to make the halos to come on anytime the ignition is on?

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just bought the Holley’s retrofit for my 240z.

If I like them I will install on my 77 as well. Currently I have led that look mostly stock, but the color/ beam is super odd. I want closer to 3000k so it seems more vintage. The 7” retrofits get awesome reviews.

Attachments

• C63278B5-DE39-45C9-B03D-8E89B2C84CEE.png
    C63278B5-DE39-45C9-B03D-8E89B2C84CEE.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 36

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I have these in my DD. Led Light

Huge improvement over stock, budget friendly, no complaints from others about being too bright on the road and bright enough I don’t feel the need for additional offroad lighting. They aren’t OEM in appearance but aren’t crazy alien eyes either.

View attachment 888099
These look identical to the trucklite LEDS but at a budget cost.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
These look identical to the trucklite LEDS but at a budget cost.
Tonight I drove 130 miles of dark rainy backroads from Arkansas to home. by dark I mean back country dark, no streetlights and more deer and cows than on coming cars or scattered houses. Never felt I couldn’t see and never felt like I needed driving lights to see the sides of the road, was very enjoyable. High beams feel similar the light bar on the roof of the bronco, lots of white light.

Here’s a little clearer close up pic

Attachments

• F592E416-16FC-499E-B8AD-088660660E1E.jpeg
    F592E416-16FC-499E-B8AD-088660660E1E.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 34

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Tonight I drove 130 miles of dark rainy backroads from Arkansas to home. by dark I mean back country dark, no streetlights and more deer and cows than on coming cars or scattered houses. Never felt I couldn’t see and never felt like I needed driving lights to see the sides of the road, was very enjoyable. High beams feel similar the light bar on the roof of the bronco, lots of white light.

Here’s a little clearer close up pic
Thanks for amazon link. I put a set in my cart. My trucklites lost high beam, its probably the relay and 1 of my lights collects condensation in our wet weather. I tried to seal it with RTV but it's still doing it as I checked it today;
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Steve...