• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Opinions on Gear Sets

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
Hey all - Im getting ready to do my F/R gear swap and need some opinions. First off ....correct me if Im wrong...... but I read a thread here about yukon gear sets being noisey/unreliable ?? I havent bought a new gear set before so please give unbiased info.

This is what I want...4.11 gears for mild offroading ,street and most of all RELIABILITY!! .My motto is DIRTFT ( Do It Right The First Time ) Im keeping the diffs,carriers,axles all stock.Just going to a lower ratio.

So..If you guys would please help me out I would be very appreciative.

Thanks Rick

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I have seen no problems with Yukons in my experiences.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
The Yukons are a great deal through Complete offroad (425 shipped I think), thats what I am running in mine, the guy who set them for me was happy with them and there has been no noise, etc.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
I just bought a set of 4.56 Yukon and installed with no issues/noise/works perfect. I did however have to get new carrier bearings for the front as the incorrect ones were sent with my gears. Other than that, I would buy them again. My .02

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I haven't ever heard of problems with Yukon gears.
What size tires and what trans have effect on what size gears you should run.
Your front carrier will have to be changed unless you get thick gears.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have yukons front and rear...I haven't noticed them being noisey.
They have been in there about a year. Proper setup has a lot to do with noise.

OP
OP
RV77

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
Hey Guys - Thanks for the replies.I guess it must have been a unhappy customer who posted it.I was looking at the set from JBG (yukon) but just wanted to know the census.

Broncoman - Whats this about the thicker gears for the carrier ?? Is it weak/promblematic ??

Thanks

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yukon is Randy Ring & Pinion's brand label, nothing more. Randy's can put whatever they want in those boxes, but most applications that I've seen will be an OEM grade gearset like Spicer or something. Not bad for the money.

Kenny

Broncoman - Whats this about the thicker gears for the carrier ?? Is it weak/promblematic ??

In order to go from 3.50 to 4.11 in a D44, you need to change the carrier or get a thick gear set. The split is somewhere around 3.73 or 3.92. I don't know of any problems. The thick gears are a little more difficult to find and a bit more expensive. I think the price difference is usually around $30-50 so usually cheaper to get the thick gears.

As a comparison, COR has a thick 4.11 gear set for 149.00 (see link). I believe the standard 4.11 gear set for the same brand is 112.99.

http://completeoffroad.com/wsm/c-2_dana_44.html