• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some opinions on a old set of flares

widowmaker77

Contributor
I have a old set of dura flex flares that I bought back in 95 from k bar s. They have been on my 77 ever since then. I’m currently building another bronco and my budget is getter a little low now, but I need a set of flares. These appear to be in good condition with no cracks or anything. Am I asking for trouble by using these old flares? I want to sand them and paint them to match my body color. My 77 is awaiting restoration next and will be going back uncut, so they will not be used on it anymore.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Those are pretty old and may crack on you eventually if these are the old rigid-type of flare. If you can scrape some $s together I would get some super flexible Gorilla Warflares, ~$300 at WH. If not, attach your old flares with screws, not pop rivets. The rivets could cause cracking because of too much stress. That happened to my old Bushwacker flares. With screws you have better control on how tight you attach them.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Those are pretty old and may crack on you eventually if these are the old rigid-type of flare. If you can scrape some $s together I would get some super flexible Gorilla Warflares, ~$300 at WH. If not, attach your old flares with screws, not pop rivets. The rivets could cause cracking because of too much stress. That happened to my old Bushwacker flares. With screws you have better control on how tight you attach them.
Yeah These are the flexible flares bushwhacker first started making in the early nineties. They aren’t the fiberglass ones

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Use them. What have you got to lose. I don’t river flares in anymore. I use small #8 stainless cap screws and nylon nuts. That way I can get just the right clamping force and not damage the flare

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
Use them. What have you got to lose. I don’t river flares in anymore. I use small #8 stainless cap screws and nylon nuts. That way I can get just the right clamping force and not damage the flare
Thanks for the info! I do want to use screws instead of rivets. that’s how I installed them on my 77 in 95.