• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need pic of original "Unleaded Fuel Only" decal

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On my 75.....I want to replace the original "Unleaded Fuel Only" decals that were located just above the gas cap(s) on 75-76 Early Broncos. Does anyone have an original pic of theirs or any that they know of on a 75 or 76? I'm trying to figure out the exact style, font, etc. I've seen several decals listed but not sure which is correct. Belo, is what I'm talking about but not sure if this one is correct.......

Thanks,

Andy
Blue71

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I checked my '76 truck and didn't see the sticker. There wasn't any evidence of a sticker either, so if the truck had one it was removed early on. I know that's not much help, are you positive they had stickers?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's interesting. I'm not sure I ever remember seeing them on Broncos. There's a vague recollection, but that's about it.
The speedo cluster got one of course, and the filler neck had the restrictor, but I'm racking my brain trying to remember if I really saw one on the body, or am just succumbing to the power of suggestion and a late night staring at the computer screen.:cool:

Good luck on that. Be cool to find someone with an original if they existed.
In '75 would it have been a CA only thing, or did they all have cats by then?
I'm always thinking it was '74 for CA and '75 for FED specs, but that was awhile back now and I think someone recently said it was '75 in CA, then '76 for the FED vehicles.
So hard to remember all that stuff!

Yours was a CA truck originally, wasn't it tirewater?

Paul

Jaxgtc

On my 75.....I want to replace the original "Unleaded Fuel Only" decals that were located just above the gas cap(s) on 75-76 Early Broncos. Does anyone have an original pic of theirs or any that they know of on a 75 or 76? I'm trying to figure out the exact style, font, etc. I've seen several decals listed but not sure which is correct. Below is what I'm talks nag about but don't think this one is correct.......

Thanks,

Andy
Blue71

MACs, LMC, and AutoKrafters.com have variations for the years '75-'77 but none specifically note they are for the EB.

Here is an archived memo from the EPA on the topic:
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe...ackDesc=Results page&MaximumPages=1&ZyEntry=4

Not sure it helps, but it interesting to read the painstaking lengths they go to in order to put a sticker on a car. The way I read it, the label would have been required beginning in 1976. The allowance for inside the fuel door would have certainly applied to the '77. On the cap would not have satisfied the requirement. It looks to me like this would have probably been on the model year '76 only, if it existed. I owned a '76 years ago, but I don't recall the decal.

I looked at all of the sales literature I could find, but for some reason they only take pictures of the right side of cars and trucks when they want to sell them. :)

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Googled "survivor 1975 and 1976 bronco" and it produced quite a few broncos, most looked pretty legit as far as original paint, didn't see any sign of them above the gas caps.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
All I have but yes they were there or at least I've seen a few back close to when new. Most were peeled off eaely on.
Funny I brought this subjet up on the gas cap thread the other day and thread died.

Attachments

• 0303171150.jpg
    0303171150.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 138

Jaxgtc

All I have but yes they were there or at least I've seen a few back close to when new. Most were peeled off eaely on.
Funny I brought this subjet up on the gas cap thread the other day and thread died.

I definitely think you found it. I wonder what color the decal was. It may already be out there in production for another Ford vehicle. I would be curious to see if it was a '75 and '76 deal or what.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Here's one on my '77
ed5d6d4cd683a55c7bc22e0044b91ca6.jpg

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
As far as Bronco it was "75-76".

Believe the decal was white.

Yup '77 was inside the fuel door as posted above.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Andy, Contact Chad aka clarrance as I think I remember seeing the decals on that low millage '76 special decor he had that was stored at that mall all those years. He may still have a picture of that if it did?
But my memory might be wrong it may not have had it.

Chad or Dennis will know.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's interesting. I'm not sure I ever remember seeing them on Broncos. There's a vague recollection, but that's about it.
The speedo cluster got one of course, and the filler neck had the restrictor, but I'm racking my brain trying to remember if I really saw one on the body, or am just succumbing to the power of suggestion and a late night staring at the computer screen.:cool:

Good luck on that. Be cool to find someone with an original if they existed.
In '75 would it have been a CA only thing, or did they all have cats by then?
I'm always thinking it was '74 for CA and '75 for FED specs, but that was awhile back now and I think someone recently said it was '75 in CA, then '76 for the FED vehicles.
So hard to remember all that stuff!

Yours was a CA truck originally, wasn't it tirewater?

Paul

No cat or fuelpipe restrictor in '74 on CA or FED Broncos. '75 Bronco had both in CA and FED.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Half Cab, wow thanks...nice catch. I new I'd seen it somewhere. Thanks I just realized it says Gasoline and not Fuel on the 75-76 and "Fuel" on the 77. Slow leak..thanks for the 77 pic as well. Thanks to the rest for the help as well. If anyone has a current pic on a Bronco...like be to see the colors?

Andy
Blue71

Last edited:

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Half Cab, wow thanks...nice catch. I new I'd seen it somewhere. Thanks I just realized it says Gasoline and not Fuel on the 75-76 and "Fuel" on the 77. Slow leak..thanks for the 77 pic as well. Thanks to the rest for the help as well. If anyone has a current pic on a Bronco...like be to see the colors?

Andy
Blue71

I imagine the first splash of gasoline washed the sticker off of the '76s. The same will likely happen to any sticker put there. Perhaps silk screen or otherwise paint it, but then that's not original.

Paul, my truck was San Jose DSO. I bought it in Campbell. You've likely seen it at least once in your life. :)

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I remember around here people were set in their ways n didn't wont not part of the "unleaded gas" movement! They loved the smell of that old leaded regular. Joke....I know a few that punched out the gas hole to put the big regular nozzle in. Smog pumps where disconnected and decals were peeled off. Until the warranty stuff came into play anyway.

Jaxgtc

In the picture above from the book, it looks like white lettering on a dark background. So '75 and '76 would have been unleaded, and form the EPA memorandum, it looks like the decal was required form '76 forward. Lets hope someone with a '75 or '76 has one they can share. We can definitely have them reproduced if there is an interest.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes that was one reason I was trying to get the correct ones...so maybe there would be some interest. I have a lead on an original that I think still has them...will keep u posted. I'm going to check on my build date on my '75 to see if it's a late '75. Again...I can see where they used to be at one time because the paint area shows it. Thanks

Blue71

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I'm interested as well. I found another picture of a '75 single tank that appears to still have remnants of the decal but picture is really to blurry.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yes that was one reason I was trying to get the correct ones...so maybe there would be some interest. I have a lead on an original that I think still has them...will keep u posted. I'm going to check on my build date on my '75 to see if it's a late '75. Again...I can see where they used to be at one time because the paint area shows it. Thanks

Blue71

thanks brother....

House

Minutia Militia
Here is a pic of a decal on a low mileage '75.
Definitely GASOLINE not FUEL, and looks like solid black letters with no border. It would make sense
that they had both black and white decals to contrast with the color of the body.

Attachments

• unleaded.jpg
    unleaded.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 58