• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some Help.....C6 clearance issues

Broncoholics

Loc.
Windsor, CO
My buddy just bought a EB with a 351W/C6 combo in it. Problem is that its a 2wd tranny, so obviously there is no Tcase in it. I have the original D20, and also a BW1356 for it though. I think I am going to run into issues adapting the D20 because of driveshaft clearance on the tranny pan. So, I was wondering if anyone had pics of theirs they could post. Is it possible to do without running a full width D44?

And, would I just be better off installing the BW1356? Its a wide sucker though, so I would think I will have some issues clearing the frame on it.

Other option would be a NP205. Opinions and advise????

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
To use the D20 you need a aftermarket adapter (about $450) the borg warner is too wide. You could use a NP205 as long as you find the longer ford adapter for driveline pan clearance.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
If your running the C-6 and a 351. Why not just go ahead with the NP205? Everything would be bombproof that way. The 20 would need the output changed out since they seem to wrench off pretty easy.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
As mentioned above the only stock option that is a direct bolt up is the NP205 with the long adapter on it. (Which will probably require obtaining the adapter from a late 70's 400M C6) In my opinion if your going to spend the money on the D20 adapter to do this you might as well spend that same $450 on a 203/205 doubler adapter instead. Then find an old Ford 203 to grab the range box from and do a doubler instead. If you go that way though be sure you use the short C6 adapter instead to keep the drivetrain length as short as possible. Doing it this way you have close to 4:1 low/low range and it's using components that have proven themselves to be pretty much bulletproof. (Your not going to have to worry about splitting the case wide open which happens from time to time with the Dana 20)

OP
OP
Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Loc.
Windsor, CO
daddyg said:
Follow Saddleups tech article on the 203/205 doubler..

No doubler needed on this setup. It will be 90% street driven. He just wants to take it back to a 4wd. The 205 sounds like the easiest swap assuming I can get my hands on the longer intermediate adapter.

The BW1356 has an adapter of some sort still bolted on the front for a long output off the tranny it came off of. I assume its the C6 in the EB right now. So, does anyone have a measurement on the long C6 adapter they can get for me? I want to compare the two to see if I can use what I have with the proper output shaft. Thanks.

Also, what year 205 should I be looking for? Anything that was bolted to a C6 or a specific year?

drajj5

Loc.
Ellijay, GA
I did the modification that you need, I installed a C6 205 wit little modification. CURIOUS?

I had a Fullsize tranny from a 78 bronco C6/205
As well as a tranny from a fullsize 80 truck C6/208

use the small bellhousing C6 with the spacer from the factory 208
Both 205 and 208 use the round adapter, however the one from the 208 is short and no trans tailshaft swap will be needed....So with a little creative drilling and fileing it is possible to bolt the 205 directly in place of the 208 (there was clearance issuses so it cannot be used in the bronco frame. All splines are the same and the only modification I did other than the spacer was shorten the shift linkage. there is a picture in my gallery. because I had the trannys on hand it cost me $5 for the blue gue and $2.50 for the beer.
Don

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Broncoholics said:
No doubler needed on this setup. It will be 90% street driven. He just wants to take it back to a 4wd. The 205 sounds like the easiest swap assuming I can get my hands on the longer intermediate adapter.

The BW1356 has an adapter of some sort still bolted on the front for a long output off the tranny it came off of. I assume its the C6 in the EB right now. So, does anyone have a measurement on the long C6 adapter they can get for me? I want to compare the two to see if I can use what I have with the proper output shaft. Thanks.

Also, what year 205 should I be looking for? Anything that was bolted to a C6 or a specific year?
The long adapter is about 9". This allows the driveline to clear without hitting the corner of the tranny. On the BW case this probably isn't an issue because it is wider. (The BW case just doesn't fit in the frame) For the 205 just lok for a Ford married NP205. Basically mid to late 70's. When I got mine I went to a yard over in Portland and literally picked through the pile looking for the cleanest one with a matching 1310 output yoke on the back. (I later changed to a 1330 one anyway) My cost to take it away without a core was $80 if I recall correctly. I think they only used the Ford NP205 for about 10 years but they are strong enough that they are plentiful in the yards. (I've never heard of anyone buying one to replace a broken one)