• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some opinions on inner fenders

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I'm at the point on my project where I'll be putting the front inner clip together. Weld the new aprons to the core support and bolt the aprons to the kick panels.
I was thinking of not re-installing the front inner fenders, but don't no how wise that would be. I have basically made the front clip removable and am having a hard time deciding if I should weld them on to the aprons and bolt them to the kick panel, or leave them off all together.
So please let me know what your experiences are and or your opinions please!? Thanks

Shawn

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I tubed my front clip a while back, so I have no inner fenders. No problems so far, but there are concerns. Mostly that something will kick up from the tires and crack my fiberglass hood. I have not driven in heavy rain yet either, so I'm still not sure what that will present as a problem.

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
What do you mean how wise to not run inner fenders? Goofball!

Well I know the Pinky does not have them, and lets be honest all it will ever do is mall crawl! So your opinion is void!!:-X ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I tubed my front clip a while back, so I have no inner fenders. No problems so far, but there are concerns. Mostly that something will kick up from the tires and crack my fiberglass hood. I have not driven in heavy rain yet either, so I'm still not sure what that will present as a problem.

Thats the only thing that concerns me, throwing rocks up, or mud, or how will the rain effect it. By no means is my Bronco a beauty Queen (Tito) but I want it to look nice when I bounce it off trees and rocks!!
Maybe I'll just trim the bottoms and inner skirt a bit, so I keep things from finding the hood or fan blades!?

gumby66

Loc.
Vonore, Tn
I don't have inner fenders installed on my bronco and I love it, it makes maitenance so much easier. I have driven in heavy thunder storms numerous times and have had it on the trail quite a few time and never had any problems. Hope this helps

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I don't have inner fenders installed on my bronco and I love it, it makes maintenance so much easier. I have driven in heavy thunder storms numerous times and have had it on the trail quite a few time and never had any problems. Hope this helps

How clean does it stay in the engine compartment? I'm really torn on this, like I said the entire front clip as of now is removable, just not sure what to do with the inner fenders!
It would be nice to have full access, and I'm sure the air flow would help in keeping it a little cooler, but I'm sure I could use the inners to attach stuff to.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
plastic or fiberglass liner or more of just a splash guard? Those inner fenders take up a lot o space under the hood.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
My front clip is removable, just as you described. I have a row of small bolts bolting the rear of the tub to the front of the kick panel. I've only built it, and have never taken it apart yet. Maybe I never will. I need my inner fenders because I don't want mud, snow, and slop all over the place.

Dan76

I'm to interested in hearing how clean the engine compartment stays with no fenders.

bludorbronc

I used a body saw and cut my inners out on the passenger side leaving an inch of material for a lip and then installed the cut out pieces back in place over the lip and sheet metal screwed them back in place, so I still have protection and can remove them for maintenance.

broncbuster

My son hit a large pipe and rolled one of our broncos. totally trashed all the front sheet metal, inner and outer. He worked on straightening out the inner sheetmetal for like a month. When we went to hang new fenders/grill it still didn't line up, after about another week of trying to get it right we gave up and built a radiator support, battery tray, fender supports out of square and rectangular tubing. It worked well. He plans to add some inner fenders to this setup eventually, but he's been driving it like that for several months and it seems ok. The front clip can be removed in about 15 minutes if needed. I was concerned about part of this "cage" getting shoved into the passenger compartment in the event of a hard front end collision and spearing driver or passenger :eek: so we turned it down before the fire wall and bolted it to the bottom outer edge of the firewall below driver/passenger feet. I believe it would crumple instead of spearing into the cab.

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
I think if I end up not running the stock inner fenders, I may just install some kind of modified setup. I like the idea of not running them, but I don't want to have to clean a mess out all the time! I think modified maybe the way to go for me, but you never know!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Hey Shawn, you remember Robert's setup on his yellow beast? It gave a lot more space than the stock fenders but also completely sealed from the elements.

OP
OP
regshawn

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Hey Shawn, you remember Robert's setup on his yellow beast? It gave a lot more space than the stock fenders but also completely sealed from the elements.

I do remember his setup, the main difference from his to mine though is that his is a completely tubed front end. I'm sure I can come up with something, like I said I may just modify the stock inner fenders I have. I just don't want them to be flimsy or take an hour to remove when the rest of the front clip will only take about 15 minutes!
As soon as I get the the rest of the front clip together I tackle the dilemma I'm having with the inner fenders. I was actually hoping that there where more people out there using there Bronco in similar places as I will be with modified or removed inner fenders. But I do appreciate all the advice and insight I have received so far, thanks.

Shawn