• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need to have steering box rebuild and turn to 4:1 Ratio

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I need to have my daughter's 1974 power steering box rebuild and turn into a 4:1 turn ratio. I tried to get in touch with a member who previously rebuild my steering box but so far no response. Is there someone in the North-East that can do this work or can some recommend a place where I can send my box to have it rebuilt. Thanks in advance.

clinem03

AGR does a great job too. They did my 76 OE power steering box and I’m about to send them the box off my 72 F100 for rebuild.

Attachments

• EB5B99BC-2ACD-422F-BDD1-AAB5D96F0EF6.jpeg
    EB5B99BC-2ACD-422F-BDD1-AAB5D96F0EF6.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 4AD6CBA1-5299-41AA-8686-8C4B8A6F5DC5.jpeg
    4AD6CBA1-5299-41AA-8686-8C4B8A6F5DC5.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 67

jmhend

Bronco Guru
My understanding is that if the worm is worn out no one can get the slop out of them. Is that true? I have heard that all vendors will "rebuild them" but once you have slop the box is going to have slop forever.

I hope I'm wrong but I have heard buddies sent theirs to PSC and West Texas and were told the same thing (which is why i never sent one out).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Theirs only so much they can do. as the worm gear and balls traveling on it wear the worm gear gets sloppy. when they rebuild it they swap the ball bearings to tighten up the slop but your really only dealing with a few thousands of an inch. now if someone Jammed in the top cap adjustment screw trying to take out slop that wears the worm screw even worse it wears uneven so you cant fix that. the box was designed around Saginaw 300 which had very limited sales so it was discontinued pretty early in parts life. there was a Chevy application and the Bronco and scout. Bronco and scout have different rotations. I think the Chevy is where the quicker ratio comes from. unless someone has retooled in the last 5 years or so the sector shaft and the ball lead screw are made of unobtainum and your searching for worn used parts. Pretty much you can make it operational and make it better but like new depends on how abused your Box is. the only way to find out is to anti up and see what you get. That's my understanding of what is out there.

walls

I just had pst do our box and it was quick and easy. Price was compatible with everyone else and he has a good reputation so when with them. All is good except getting used to the tight steering ratio.

bigjhoov

nobody
So I hate to ask but from what I am seeing why ship and mess with rebuilding your box (unless your porting it) when you can buy one that is 14:1 from Jeffs and only have to pay for shipping one way. Just a thought for $520.00

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Delphi-Power-Steering-Box-66-77-Bronco/productinfo/12826/
"This is NOT a direct replacement for the factory steering gear box. The Delphi box utilizes different hose fittings and input shaft gear spline size."

bigjhoov

nobody
Last edited:

jmhend

Bronco Guru
"This is NOT a direct replacement for the factory steering gear box. The Delphi box utilizes different hose fittings and input shaft gear spline size."
Agreed but again, if your worm gear is worn out the “rebuild” won’t help and you have added a lot of cost to an old box. Just had the throw it out there.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Agreed but again, if your worm gear is worn out the “rebuild” won’t help and you have added a lot of cost to an old box. Just had the throw it out there.
Uhm... the worm gear is replaced during the ratio conversion. The Worm screw and rack nut are 100% tied to the ratio.

Worm gear "wear" is almost always a misnomer for sector wear out in an early bronco.

Shop before you buy. In December, 2021...West Texas Off Road was out of parts for the ratio conversion.

I just did mine myself. Cost me ~$200 to do the ratio swap.

jhill52

jamesroney Where did you get the parts for the conversion? Cant be that hard.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Uhm... the worm gear is replaced during the ratio conversion. The Worm screw and rack nut are 100% tied to the ratio.

Worm gear "wear" is almost always a misnomer for sector wear out in an early bronco.

Shop before you buy. In December, 2021...West Texas Off Road was out of parts for the ratio conversion.

I just did mine myself. Cost me ~$200 to do the ratio swap.
Ok, thanks. I am really confused now.. Why are many people saying theres not much you can do? Now I would love to learn how to do it myself too... The rebuild / closer ratio seems to be a mystery to most.. but clearly the parts are out there, we just need to find the right guy / company to point us in the right direction. WINK WINK.....
Theirs only so much they can do. as the worm gear and balls traveling on it wear the worm gear gets sloppy. when they rebuild it they swap the ball bearings to tighten up the slop but your really only dealing with a few thousands of an inch. now if someone Jammed in the top cap adjustment screw trying to take out slop that wears the worm screw even worse it wears uneven so you cant fix that. the box was designed around Saginaw 300 which had very limited sales so it was discontinued pretty early in parts life. there was a Chevy application and the Bronco and scout. Bronco and scout have different rotations. I think the Chevy is where the quicker ratio comes from. unless someone has retooled in the last 5 years or so the sector shaft and the ball lead screw are made of unobtainum and your searching for worn used parts. Pretty much you can make it operational and make it better but like new depends on how abused your Box is. the only way to find out is to anti up and see what you get. That's my understanding of what is out there.

I sent mine to West Texas offroad for a complete rebuild and they did a great job. No problems for 12 years. They tapped and ported for hydraulic steering if I want in the future. Great to deal with. Highly recommend.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I sent mine to West Texas offroad for a complete rebuild and they did a great job. No problems for 12 years. They tapped and ported for hydraulic steering if I want in the future. Great to deal with. Highly recommend.
Good to know. Shipping will cost me about $112 x2 ($225) plus the rebuild price (according to their site about $700). Unless I find the replacement parts

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
Check out Red Head Steering Gear. They actually size the balls to the amount of wear in the worm. Years ago I found some great videos they did on the process. I called around when I had mine done and didn't find any other shop this in depth with there rebuilds. You can definitely find plenty of cheaper places, but this wasn't a part of the Broncos where I wanted to save a few bucks.