• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Never done this...wtrpump test by testing pressure in block

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I called, but they weren't really sure and just said 94-95 vehicles. He said that it sounds right, but....
That looks like '94-'95 mustang which has a flange for the fan and no threads on the end of the shaft.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
So I made a couple calls today...one to Stewart and talked pumps with their engineer and also with Hayden fan tech dept.

Stewart backed up the water pressure block test at least enough to say that the higher pressure aids in heat saturation of the water and increased flow rates and it helps alot in cooling... several of their higher stage pumps do NOT have heater hose outlet fitting built into it therefore if you like heat in your car this may not be the waterpump for you.

Hayden tech...I was discussing their "duty" classifications of their fan clutches and the Exploder one in particular since that's what I'm still using. We discussed my high rpm heat build issue and he had some interesting theories behind no cooling issues at low speed but when really pushing my engines limits at 5K rpm, I can push 220 in 5 minutes when pushing snow with my front bumper at 20def F.
He suggested the fan might be operating at only 15% rpm due to safety features built into the fan to keep it from self-destructing...and I said WHAT? Due to safety issues OE clutches will protect themselves from destruction by disengaging at higher rpm and suggested this might be part of my "only overheats when under severe load usually only coupled with 5,000rpm use for several continuous minutes. Interesting theory... He suggested using a mechanical fan instead of a clutch fan...

Never heard of this before..anybody else back this up?

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Attached is a test procedure for the clutch from my service manual. The system description did not help at all with data on maximum speed protection.

Attachments

• Explorer Fan Clutch Test.pdf
    80.4 KB · Views: 5

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Seems to me that a free-wheeling fan clutch would hurt itself at high speed more than one locked up, but I'm not familiar with exactly how they work.

Fan Clutch on Patch (Toyota) would lock up at sustained high engine speed and if fan noise is anything to go by it didn't slip at any speed once engaged.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
So Chuzie's test shows almost 50% reduction at only 3,000 rpm. Hmmm.... thanks for posting that test.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
So running a coolant containing 50% ethl- glycol diluted 50% at 24psi yields the greatest potential cooling. Interesting. Thanks for that data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

chuzie

Bronco Guru
So what do people think of an Electric fan on the front for slow speed? Does it block too much of the radaitor?
Im running a Volvo fan on the front and explorer mechanical on back. The Volvo is set to energize at 210. It rarely sees any action even on the rocks. The resistance issue really comes up for debate on the highway. For me, again, it rarely gets used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk