• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco - New Problems... (C6 inside)

Joe'Bronco

Loc.
Dublin, CA
How's it going folks!

Im not new to broncos, just new to the classic bronco. I have had a 1986 and a 1992. SOLD the 1992 and have regretted it ever since.

Just last week I was pig hunting on a friends property and he asked why my friends called me Joe'Bronco when I drove a F150? I explained the disaster that led to me selling my beloved bronco and why I needed a truck at the time... Work stuff, married so on and so forth.

Fast forward a 12 pack later...

My friend offered to sell me one of his two classic broncos. :eek:
"Heck ya!" I yelled almost knocking over my beer (a good one at that... hmmmn Pliny the elder.... Sorry... back on track)

It was an early 70's bronco that was originally light blue and is now primer/blue with a 302 that has been totally rebuild by both a redneck shadetree mechanic (I.E. garden hose pieces in place of a few hoses) and an real mechanic. It has a very nice eddlebrock intake and carb, duel mufflers with flow40's. Minor rust but nothing major. The seats are ripped up but not rusted. Has a full top and a roll bar installed. My friend warned me that it overheats and needs some TLC.

My questions before I dive into this project;

The tranny: It had a C6 paired with the Hurst shifter already installed. Is that really a good combo in the bronco? The front drive shaft doesn't clear and is missing.

The engine I love the 302, but have never had luck with carburetors. In fact last one I owned went up in flames (RIP 1982 F150) What would I cost to go EFI? Price vs the EZ EFI worth it? MPG increase on the EZ EFI?

I was hoping to have a truck I could drive to work on occasion and to my hunting spots and not trailer... I guess I cant complain too much, my friend is letting me have it for around $4,500. I guess its a good deal. Not sure how much these trucks are worth.

Prost!

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Oh the decisions I've made after a couple of Plinys... at least you got a Bronco out of it, that's classic.

C6 is a decent transmission - my only complaint about it is no overdrive. Years ago my dad had a 1974 F250 with a big block and C6. My teenage self never managed to hurt it. lol.

EFI/351w... where to begin. I'll begin with DO IT. I completed that swap about two years ago and can't believe I dealt with a carb for as long as I did. Cost - going to vary depending on which way you go. I personally would highly recommend using all OEM Ford parts for the swap. I went with a Lightning lower manifold, Explorer upper, Summit Racing harness, etc etc etc. All told it probably cost me $1500 but I know I could have saved a few bucks... I swapped tanks, ran super expensive fuel lines, that kind of thing...

Welcome to the addiction. Where are you located?

OP
OP
J

Joe'Bronco

Loc.
Dublin, CA
Oh the decisions I've made after a couple of Plinys... at least you got a Bronco out of it, that's classic.

C6 is a decent transmission - my only complaint about it is no overdrive. Years ago my dad had a 1974 F250 with a big block and C6. My teenage self never managed to hurt it. lol.

EFI/351w... where to begin. I'll begin with DO IT. I completed that swap about two years ago and can't believe I dealt with a carb for as long as I did. Cost - going to vary depending on which way you go. I personally would highly recommend using all OEM Ford parts for the swap. I went with a Lightning lower manifold, Explorer upper, Summit Racing harness, etc etc etc. All told it probably cost me $1500 but I know I could have saved a few bucks... I swapped tanks, ran super expensive fuel lines, that kind of thing...

Welcome to the addiction. Where are you located?

Im just down the street from ya in Dublin! The bronco is still in Parkfield as I have not paid my friend off completely. It gives me an excuse to drive out and shoot a pig when I work on the truck.

I may have to bounce a few questions off of you from time to time. Im a hands on builder (carpenter by trade) but electrical is has always been a problem of mine, unless im using it to weld!

KyddsPly

Welcome- is say go for it. I wouldn't be to concerned about the 302- solid motor. But definitely instal a tbi system.
Look forward to seeing some pics.