• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco owner looking for direction

cougar442

Loc.
Sumner, MS
Hi all,

I am a new owner of a 1966 Bronco, and I am looking for a little direction. The Bronco runs and drives fine and has been used as a mud vehicle in MS. It has the stock 170 I6, manual brakes, and manual steering. The rear fenders have been cut and have flares that need replacing. There are 33" mud tires on 16" rims. Some rust, but not lots. Some of that work has already been done. I want to turn this into a mild to moderate trail vehicle. My wife and I enjoy traveling in desert backcountry. We don't need a rock crawler by any stretch, but we want to get where we want to go. I am looking for ideas on how to approach this project. Where do I start; what do I prioritize? I believe that I have a 90's 351w with 60k miles on it to buy relatively cheap. I know that an engine change will be part of this for many reasons including dependability. Beyond that, I would really appreciate some guidance on how to get started building this for desert rocks and sand. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

nateval

Loc.
Manchester NH
Unfortunately I can't give you much direction but I just bought my first Bronco this week. This seems to be a great site and you can get all the answers you need here. Welcome to the club

Ratch

Contributor
Welcome to the forum, Cougar. Sounds like you already have a good starting point, and a good idea of what you want. If you want to address the rust you might want to do that first. Engine/trans upgrades and suspension. 351 sounds like a good deal, if you don't mind the work and expense. I think the stock 6cyl trans will hold up if you don't beef it up too much, otherwise there are a lot of 4spd or auto conversions available. Basically you have a blank canvas to do whatever your desires and budget allows. Be sure to read up in the tech section and forums and don't be afraid to ask questions. This is a great bunch of guys on here and I am sure they will be happy to offer help and advice.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
Well it sounds like you've already picked a direction for the most part. Since you already have a engine chosen I wont get into that. My main recommendation would be to check out the links section on the left hand side of this page there is a lot of info on upgrades that you may want to think about. Either way next comes transmission all depends on what you like and want it to do. Some require a lot of mods others practically bolt in. High up the the list of mods would be front disc brakes and power steering those are probably the best two mods you'll make and will make driving more enjoyable. Again lots of info in the links section. Also look through the venders websites or order some catalogs all the parts for the popular mods are in there catalogs it will give you lots of ideas and directions you may want to go.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Fix what is not safe first. Undo as much damage as you can and do prevenative stuff. Clean stuff up so you have an idea what you are working with. Being a mud truck I am sure there is a ton of mud packed into every nook and cranny. Where there is mud there is rust forming under it.

For the 351 swap, do the trans swap at the same time.

SKOOTER

Loc.
Sacramento,Ca.
one thing I didnt think about when I started mine was how many things are dependet on each other. For example ,going to bigger tires changes drive shaft and u joints. I found that out. . Also lfting your rig changes tons of stuff: drive shaft length, trans linkage, brake and fuel lines, and a bunch of other crap you dont think of. It sure keeps me sane working on it though! Have fun

TN1776

Bronco Guru
The 351 swap will be fairly straightforward. Since it sounds like you'll be building a mixed-use Bronco, I'd suggest an overdrive transmission - either manual or automatic, to make the highway driving a little more pleasurable. I'd consider giving the new engine a once-over, making sure its mechanically reliable (plastigauge the crank bearings, maybe pop a head off to look at the cylinder bores, replace any seals that need it, etc). It's also a good time to check u-joints, wheel bearings, service the differentials and transfer case, etc. Front disk brakes, a power brake booster, and power steering will make driving it much nicer too.

Once you are confident that the vehicle is mechanically sound, I'd definitely address the rust issues sooner than later, especially if a roll cage is in your future (which it should be). Floor pans are notorious for being rusty but they are easy to replace if you have a welder and some patience. I'd upgrade the seatbelts to 3, 4 or 5 point harnesses. If your suspension clears 33" tires with no rubbing anywhere, 33s are probably perfectly adequate for a moderate trail rig and highway driver. I'd go through the suspension and change any worn bushings, check all the steering linkages, ball joints, etc. It's also a good time to make sure your fuel lines are in good shape, and that your cooling system is up to the task.

I know this sounds like a lot, but its really not as daunting of a task as it may sound. Much of what I mentioned is just basic maintenance and won't cost you much. Good luck and have fun!

sufa114

i think it really depends on your skill level and tools or cash. haha how much of the work can you do on your own or do you have the money to pay others to do the work for you

AussieBronco

I'd highly recommend power steering and while you're there add hydroboost and disc brakes. If you're going to go the hydroboost route you may as well only buy the right hoses and pump once. Sounds like a really nice canvas to start with. If you're going to put the mid 90's 351w and keep the EFI make sure you have the clearance for it,(body lift and/or hood scoop). I have not done this conversion myself but it seems to be a tight fit from what you read.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome to the site..

Disc Brakes
Power Steering
Minimum 4-6 point Cage

662jcur

Loc.
Clarksdale, MS
Hi all,

I am a new owner of a 1966 Bronco, and I am looking for a little direction. The Bronco runs and drives fine and has been used as a mud vehicle in MS. It has the stock 170 I6, manual brakes, and manual steering. The rear fenders have been cut and have flares that need replacing. There are 33" mud tires on 16" rims. Some rust, but not lots. Some of that work has already been done. I want to turn this into a mild to moderate trail vehicle. My wife and I enjoy traveling in desert backcountry. We don't need a rock crawler by any stretch, but we want to get where we want to go. I am looking for ideas on how to approach this project. Where do I start; what do I prioritize? I believe that I have a 90's 351w with 60k miles on it to buy relatively cheap. I know that an engine change will be part of this for many reasons including dependability. Beyond that, I would really appreciate some guidance on how to get started building this for desert rocks and sand. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Welcome. I have a 72 that I plan to do some upgrades on soon.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Hey, I live in the desert, and I built my Bronco ;D

Beside basic maintenance stuff as suggested (u-joints, brakes, etc.) I would recommend the following -

Even if you don't rock crawl, I recommend a front diff skid plate for desert duty.

Rocker panel protection.

Best cooling system you go afford, especially if you go with that 351!

Power steering is a MUST in the rocky canyons of the desert!

Soft top. Definitely need a soft top.

Have fun... and if you ever get out toward THIS patch of desert, let me know!

OP
OP
C

cougar442

Loc.
Sumner, MS
Thanks everyone! Your replies have been very helpful. This sure seems like a great community. I look forward to talking with you more as this project goes on. I'll post some pics soon.