• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Carb and Intake - won't idle

crutch

I just installed a new Edelbrock performer 289 intake and 500 cfm Edelbrock carb and fuel filter. The engine fires up but won't hold an idle. If I leave the throttle pressed half way down it will continue to run until I let the throttle off or if I push the throttle all the way down it will die.

I have tried to adjust the idle mixture screws and have opened them all the way up but no luck. I made sure the vacuum connections are all hooked up. This is an electric choke which I was playing around with a bit but not real sure how to set it.

Any thoughts on what to test/troubleshoot? Thanks!

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Does the idle adjustment screw do anything when/ if you screw it down to raise the idle speed ?
Did you check for a vacuum leak going to the tranny - { dont know if the AOD has vacuum line to it } or a leak in line going to your power brakes?

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

Haven't gotten it to do anything by adjusting screws. I may have to double check but I think when I screw it down then I can't keep it running even when giving it throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I m also thinking vacuum leak. When I ran the edelbrock carb I set the electric choke on 3rd notch from the front

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

Does the idle adjustment screw do anything when/ if you screw it down to raise the idle speed ?
Did you check for a vacuum leak going to the tranny - { dont know if the AOD has vacuum line to it } or a leak in line going to your power brakes?

AOD doesn't have a vacuum. I hooked up brake booster to the rear port on the carb and seems everything is tight but I'll cap off the port at carb just to rule that out. I am using a new clear glass fuel filter which is full with fuel. Could there be any issues with not getting enough fuel to carb?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
The "idle speed " adjustment screw is not the same as the "idle mixture " adjustment screws. If you screw "down " the idle speed adj screw it's the same as holding the throttle down - the mixture screws change the fuel to air ratio at idle.

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

One other thing to note I installed my distributor vacuum port to the timed vacuum on carb and capped the manifold vacuum. I believe this is correct but please let me know if there is an issue here.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was the distributor removed to install the intake?

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

I did remove distributor and marked the rotor and the distributor location to put back in same place. Is it worth trying to adjust and see if it will hold idle?

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did remove distributor and marked the rotor and the distributor location to put back in same place. Is it worth trying to adjust and see if it will hold idle?

Yes. Try advance it a little (CCW).

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

Haha cool thanks. I started googling because it didn't sound right.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah I just recently installed a new intake manifold and it was doing exactly what yours is.
Even though I marked distributor rotor position it was waaaaay retarded.
So got it close so that it idled on its own and dialed it in with timing light.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I would look for vacuum leaks. The idle mixture screws ( slanted downward in the front of the carb ) will not do anything until the idle is much lower. Put them back to factory settings or 1 1/2 turns out after they lightly bottom out, do this with the engine off. If the choke is closed you are on high idle. If the choke will fully open you should be able to loosen the idle setting screw to lower the idle. Go through your manual or website to learn where to adjust your carb, also see all the vacuum ports on the carb. Spray carb cleaner at the carb base and along the intake manifold to head gasket to check for vacuum leaks. Good luck

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

Thanks gr8scott looks like it was timing. I got it to idle now I'll work on getting it dialed in.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks gr8scott looks like it was timing. I got it to idle now I'll work on getting it dialed in.

Good to hear. When I read your OP it was like Déjà vu :)