• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new carb suggestions

mwtjet

Loc.
Huntersville, NC
needing a new carb for my 170 l6 motor and not sure what route to go with it
been hearing that a holley 1904 might work and will bolt directly in
anyone have any other suggestions otherwise?

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
Best way to find out if a Holley carburetor will work is to look up their email or phone number and get in touch with them to see what they recommend.They usually have great customer service then you won't be guessing.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you have any of the Ford inline engines of the 144/170/200/250 family, you really need to invest in this book. Most of the cross fitment has already been documented here.
It's a bit dated and doesn't cover much about electronic ignition and zero about fuel injection, but the basic engine information is really good.
You should shop around. I've seen this book going for less.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Ford-F...970-41-75722-1-/113498673954?oid=113340375235

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Holley Model 1940 is a great little carb. Ford even used it on some industrial 6s and as a service carb on other 6s. I recently went through one of those for a customer that has a 200 in his '68 Bronco.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I got one of these from Summit a couple years ago and worked great

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/urm-7-7217/overview/year/1966/make/ford/model/bronco

it sat on a shelf in a ziplock bag for over a year, I then sold it to another member and fired right up for him too

as mentioned Holley 1940 is a good carb just make sure it has the same size opening as your intake, i believe there are 2 different sizes and the bigger one will not work

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, as mentioned, get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook.
Also visit Fordsix.com for the Ford six experience.
At Fordsix.com there is a tech section which explains the different carb and distributors Ford used back then.
Before 1968 Ford's had a different carb (SCV) and distributor (LOM), and they must be used together.
The later Ford's used a more conventional set up. So depending on your year you have a choice.
Learn about your engine before buying parts.
Good luck

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, the carb 1strodeo got from Summit is the early, manual choke, replacement carb. The early SCV (spark control valve) shows in the picture as the big round thing with the four flats on the lower left. The port to the right of that is the port for the distributor vacuum. If your old carb has that, then this carb will work properly as a replacement.
Something other guys mentioned is later carbs have a modern distributor vacuum port, and many also have a larger bolt pattern, a larger throttle bore, and the later cylinder heads have a larger opening.
Once again the early and late parts do not directly interchange.
Good luck