• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Clutch Install, Flywheel ?

Retoohstyoh

Getting ready to install a LUK 07027 diaphragm style clutch kit. I have a couple questions about the flywheel. Can I use the original flywheel and should it be trued up at a machine shop? Is it just cheaper to buy a new one? I've heard stories of brand new ones needing trued up. If replacing, can someone supply a part number for the correct flywheel I need? Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Inspect what you have. The old flywheel probably needs surfacing to remove wear patterns and glazing.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if the new pressure plate bolt pattern matches the holes we would just use a gasket cleaning cookie in a die grinder to scuff and clean the flywheel.
Unless the flywheel is in bad shape with grooves, burnt blue spots and heat cracks.
Inspect it and see how it looks.
Good luck

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Use the original OEM flywheel unless it is bad, the new stuff is almost all made in China (except for high dollar aftermarket) and a bad odds gamble on getting a good part.

Maddog B

Just put a new clutch in mine. As the others said, use the original unless it’s unserviceable. Cost me $40 to get mine turned at the machine shop. Cheap insurance to know it’s a nice true surface to avoid clutch chatter and have to pull it back out.

69_Sport

If you want to ensure that you're not pulling it all apart again, then have the original flywheel resurfaced. This is cheap insurance, and one of those "no brainer" things you do because it will never be easier, and because it ensures that brand spankin' new clutch will work properly.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've always wiped mine down with alcohol before installing the clutch. Yes I have it resurfaced 1st. Once the flywheel is bolted on I wipe it before installing the pressure plate.

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Just put a new clutch in mine. As the others said, use the original unless it’s unserviceable. Cost me $40 to get mine turned at the machine shop. Cheap insurance to know it’s a nice true surface to avoid clutch chatter and have to pull it back out.

Same thing I did. $40 well spent for piece of mind. Also as stated wipe down fly wheel with alcohol based parts cleaner. Wipe down your pressure plate too. I think they put a coating of some sort on it at the factory to prevent rust before it’s installed.