• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New EFI Fuel Lines Dual Tanks

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Is this going to work OK? I'm reconfiguring my fuel lines from the passenger frame rail to the drivers side now that I have changed my exhaust. For about 8 years I have run my EFI without a low pressure pusher pump and without an accumulator. Since I'm moving it anyway I'm considering adding the LP pump and using an accumulator/Filter in place of my current filter. If my thinking is correct, the pusher pump is needed to use an accumulator. All of the setups I have seen that use dual tanks and an accumulator use two low pressure pumps, one for each tank. In the interest of saving a few bucks and saving space, is there any reason I can't use just one low pressure pump by locating it after the 6 way valve? Or perhaps, I should leave the low pressure pump and accumulator out and just move the lines? My Diagram shows a filter not an accumulator but it should convey the idea of what I'm going for. I'm moving the lines because they are now closer than I would like to the exhaust and because it will drastically shorten the length of the fuel lines.

Attachments

• Fuel System Diagram2.jpg
    Fuel System Diagram2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 116

ryan287

Loc.
Orange County, CA
I have tried the 6 way valve and I could'nt get it to operate correctly, not to mention all the fuel lines going everywhere were what I considered a liability.

Later, it dawned on me to skip the 6 way valve and just have my aux tank pump into my main tank. from the main, I had a low pressure into an accumulator just like we've all seen before. Hope this helps.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's how I originally plumbed my system. The problem I ran into was the LP pump couldn't keep up with the HP pump when it was hot out. It was probably the fault of the crappy LP pump I was using though. I ended up moving that pump to near the aux tank and bought a carter P4070 to push from the main tank. Never had problems running off the main after that but still had some problems running off the aux. Then bought a 2nd carter for the aux and it's been fine ever since. I'd try your plan with a carter as the LP pump.

I did have the first 6-port valve fail after a couple years. O'reillys has them with a lifetime warranty.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I have been reading that people are moving away from the accumulator setup. Is this because of issues with the popular models (BC etc) or other reasons?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
convert rear tank to a 23 gal with in-tank hp pump, toss the aux tank and you won't need all that other stuff. even with stock rear tank, mount a hp in-line pump near it and that's all you need. do you ever go on long trips or far enough away from a gas station that would require an aux tank?

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I ran the 6 way valve for about 12 years with no issues. I never even had a pusher pump of any kind or any kind of accumulator. My HP pump is mounted to the frame under the passenger seat and has worked great for 12 plus years. May die today but so far so good. I only have two large filters on each side of the HP pump.

I removed the aux tank to add a body lift and just have not reinstalled it yet.

Greg

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
convert rear tank to a 23 gal with in-tank hp pump, toss the aux tank and you won't need all that other stuff. even with stock rear tank, mount a hp in-line pump near it and that's all you need. do you ever go on long trips or far enough away from a gas station that would require an aux tank?

I already have a 23 gallon rear and surprisingly enough, I still use my aux tank fairly often. Do I really need it? No. I do however like the extra capacity when I'm back in the sticks or just to load up on a little extra fuel when gas prices dip down a bit. In the short term, I'm going to replumb the system as it is now ( No pusher pump ) but I'll leave the space to add the pusher in the future. I need to get some better lines to run from the fuel rail to the hard lines and figure out how I want to clamp the hard lines to the frame rail. Braided steel lines are probably the way to go but $100+ dollars for two fuel lines seems crazy to me so I'll have to figure that out. I also want to re install my vapor recovery system while I'm at it so I need to get my parts list together. Phil, do you know what carter pump you ordered for the pusher?

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I have been reading that people are moving away from the accumulator setup. Is this because of issues with the popular models (BC etc) or other reasons?

Eric, I had not read that about the accumulator. I already own a BC accumulator and was thinking of removing the return line "T" that feeds the accumulator and just plugging the port. I believe that the BC accumulator is just a filter that has been drilled and tapped for the return line. I was planning on using that for my filter anyway since my existing filter setup leaks a little.

tacobronco

I think the problem with the accumulator setup is that in low demand situations (think highway cruising), the fuel pressure regulator is bypassing most of the fuel. The accumulator allows this bypassed fuel to recirc directly into the feed line without returning to the tank. The result is that the fuel picks up a ton of heat at the fuel rail, and can lead to vapor lock. Yes, a 39 psi high pressure pump can vapor lock when the fuel is literally boiling!

As a result of these problems I ditched the accumulator, 6 port valve, and miles of hardline/hose. Went to an in-tank high pressure pump, and will eventally plumb the aux tank to just fill the main as discussed above. It's a much simpler, more reliable setup. Quieter, too.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
How are you getting $100 for 2 fuel lines? If you are connecting to hard lines, your braided stainless runs are pretty short no? 6' of -6AN braided from Summit is $24. Fittings can be as low as $5 for straight and a little more for angled.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
How are you getting $100 for 2 fuel lines? If you are connecting to hard lines, your braided stainless runs are pretty short no? 6' of -6AN braided from Summit is $24. Fittings can be as low as $5 for straight and a little more for angled.

I was looking at This and This
The Spring lock connectors are a bit more expensive I'm guessing.