• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New exhaust - too close to transmission pan?

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Just roughed in my new exhaust for a 4R70W swap. The bends and headers just sort of naturally worked out to put the cross pipe fairly close to the transmission pan. Is this too close? I have a high performance Derale plate/fin transmission cooler.

new exhaust in progress

639188870_aRJy5-L.jpg

639188214_gwZ7j-L.jpg

639188084_pRXkD-L.jpg

639188153_tvsDD-Ti.jpg

639188805_nhW6d-L.jpg

639189362_J8P8R-XL.jpg

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Dan,

Personally, I think I’d put a little bend in just under the drivers side header to bring the front forward and inch or 2 and see if you could work it so the side is an inch or so further from the side of the pan. But what you have so far looks not too bad!

When I was researching header coatings a few years ago I ran across one of the companies that also had a user sprayable coating that I was thinking of spraying the exhaust with. I just don’t remember who!

What headers are those? They look remarkably like the B.C. headers that I just got in the mail.

Where did you get the 3 bolt flange for mounting the exhaust to the header and the Y tube from?

What diameters are the tubes you are using?

Dan

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
thanks Dan,

the headers are hedman from Summit - $170 and they fit great. The headers are a kit and come with gaskets and flanges, ring, bolts, nuts etc. It was a bit of a gamble because nobody seemed to know if that kit would work but its a perfect fit so far.

The kit stated 2.5" collector size which is true, but the flange it comes with is a reducer down to 2". I had to order a 2.5" to 2.5" flange from summit for $20.

Exhaust is 2.5"

i see what you mean about bringing putting a bend in the drivers side. I hate to undo what I've already done but it might be important.

Headers:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-88400/

reducer:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-21123/

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
with just a little tweeking/massaging you should be able to get a little eaxtra rtoom by the transmision pan.

Twist the pipe comming off the drivers side header just a little, and add a little bit to each side of the 90 degree bend around the pan.

That should give you the extra you want

Attachments

• exmod.JPG
    exmod.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 76

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Looks pretty good but I would give the pan some more clearance its not like you dont have room the exhuast could come down or forward a few inches. Its better not to transfer heat to the tranny if you dont have to.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
with just a little tweeking/massaging you should be able to get a little eaxtra rtoom by the transmision pan.

Twist the pipe comming off the drivers side header just a little, and add a little bit to each side of the 90 degree bend around the pan.

That should give you the extra you want

That is exactly what I would do as well. Ther is a little nitch toward the back of the engine oil pan that would fit the exhaust nicely.

Put a little bend directly after the collector aiming slightly forward.

The fluid I am not so worried about. It is the gasket material I don't want to see cooked.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Whose exhaust kit is that? I need to do that project soon as well.
Dennis

1Ton73

Loc.
Roseburg, Oregon
Looks pretty good but I would give the pan some more clearance its not like you dont have room the exhuast could come down or forward a few inches. Its better not to transfer heat to the tranny if you dont have to.

It does look good, but I agree a little more clearance wouldn't hurt.

Here's what I did. I stayed a little farther away from the tranny pan, but I still had a problem. When I tried to install my aluminum deep tranny pan the dipstick tube needed to be moved down, but the exhaust wouldn't allow that. I had to remove it and go back to my stock tranny pan. I just over-looked it when I had the exhaust done. I plan on modifying the deep pan someday so I can use it.

Just something to look out for!

HPIM3433.jpg