• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New exhaust wanted

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I want headers and dual exhaust! However I am not sure I can run headers. Currently my set up is an explorer motor and a 4r70w to an atlas. I fun stock bronco manifolds into a 2 into 1 system. I also have a high pinion in the front. The drivers side pipe has to be bent very close to the block and oil pan to make the cross over to the passenger side. There is also limited space to get by the transmission, the driveshaft and the atlas. Am I dreaming thinking I can get a set of headers that will work with my set up?

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bax, I am getting ready to install a similar set up using a 5.8 engine. Any chance you can provide a current pic?
Yeah sure. I have been under the bronco all day. I had put a new timing chain in and needed to put the oil Pan back on. Track bar, steering bar the exhaust had to all come offI . I dont believe there is any way to get headers up in there. I will get pictures tomorrow.

JSBX

Contributor
I have a 5.0 out of a 80's model truck, 4R70W, atlas and high pinion in my 69 with a 3.5" suspension lift and 1" body lift. I have shorty headers from Northeast Classic Ford Parts with 2.5" exhaust. I run two into one. My drives side was bent as high up as the exhaust shop could get it and crosses over at the rear of oil pan almost touching transmission. I have only been on one wheeling trip to OCBR with this set up but have not had any problems so far. I can get some pictures tomorrow if you want them?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have a 5.0 out of a 80's model truck, 4R70W, atlas and high pinion in my 69 with a 3.5" suspension lift and 1" body lift. I have shorty headers from Northeast Classic Ford Parts with 2.5" exhaust. I run two into one. My drives side was bent as high up as the exhaust shop could get it and crosses over at the rear of oil pan almost touching transmission. I have only been on one wheeling trip to OCBR with this set up but have not had any problems so far. I can get some pictures tomorrow if you want them?
Yes, please post some up. Thanks!

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Yeah sure. I have been under the bronco all day. I had put a new timing chain in and needed to put the oil Pan back on. Track bar, steering bar the exhaust had to all come offI . I dont believe there is any way to get headers up in there. I will get pictures tomorrow.
Bax, I am running headers on my 5.8 but they are shorties. I have had the 5.8 with headers in and out of the truck awhile back and don't know why there would be a problem. My plan is to go back to the two into one, like you have now I believe, as I used to run the same with the 5.0 I pulled out. You may right that a true dual may not fit with the 4r70w and the atlas though?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Which Explorer engine? P-heads or non? That can really limit header choices.
I have ran a 351 with ported K-code manifolds. This was attached to Trickflow aluminum heads no less. It was my fix for the old 90's Duff headers there were right up against the transmission pan gasket (had to clock the header flange bolts just right to clear).

Then there is always the fenderwell exist header option...

BanditBronco

Almost an identical set up to what I run Bax other than I have a 5.8, which should make a regular explorer motor easier since it is slightly skinnier in width. I, along with everyone else runs shorties because that seems to be what fits best. I don't love them; I think long tubes sound way better. If I didn't own a rock crawler, I wouldn't have gone the shortie route. I bet if you were just street driving and set up the up travel and bump correctly for the front you could get a set of long tubes under there. Probably not without some sort of modification though. Have you thought about finding a header/exhaust builder that might be able to make you something custom? A lot of custom shops in my area build full custom set ups including the headers on LS swapped JK builds and square body chevy builds just because nothing is offered that drops right in. Option number two could be going the fender well route.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Some pictures of my exhaust and lack of room. Running stock bronco exhaust manifolds. With the high pinion you have to turn the drivers side away from the drive shaft as compact as you can. You need the room for the driveshaft clearance. Then it is pretty much 2 into one from there. Even if I could get a shorty header in place on the drivers side I dont think I have room to put a pipe down that side. So 2 into 1 is about my only option .

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 79
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 103

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
I'm fighting the same issues with my '68. '97 Explorer 5.0 4R70W & Atlas II. I bought TBP long-tube headers and had to modify the RH side to get it to fit between the stock frame and transmission. LH side looked like it was going to work until all of the transmission linkage, cable and wiring got in the way. I just ordered a set of the Scott Drake shorty headers to see if they will work. I think it would have worked if I still had the D20 in place. Plan is to have 2.5" primary pipes to a Y to 3" cat, muffler and tail pipe.
Why is exhaust so hard?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I'm fighting the same issues with my '68. '97 Explorer 5.0 4R70W & Atlas II. I bought TBP long-tube headers and had to modify the RH side to get it to fit between the stock frame and transmission. LH side looked like it was going to work until all of the transmission linkage, cable and wiring got in the way. I just ordered a set of the Scott Drake shorty headers to see if they will work. I think it would have worked if I still had the D20 in place. Plan is to have 2.5" primary pipes to a Y to 3" cat, muffler and tail pipe.
Why is exhaust so hard?
Why the need for the Cat?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Why the need for the Cat?
Modern cats are good for many reasons. Even ignoring the pollution control they offer, many are finding there way onto older projects for the overall benifit. Exhaust doesn't smell, minimizes the CO poisoning as you drive. They are not the evil performance killing exhaust plugs of the 70's anymore. Performance wise you will only notice a difference on a dyno. Your ear dyno may pick up something as it does tend to quiet the exhaust a little bit as well.

So while a cat may not be needed, it can be a desirable thing to have. I add them to my vintage projects when possible. I also like charcoal canisters so the garage doesn't stink so much.

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
As Broncobowsher stated. In addition the above the additional heat created by the CAT on short trips helps to heat up the muffler to remove condensation. I'm looking mostly at the 'cleaner' smell and redusing the sound level while keeping the free-flowing muffler. I don't want this one to drone like my '96.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Bax,
Can you run the crossover just in front of the transfer case support, and make the turn thru the relief in the support?

2023-04-25_101746.jpg

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I have a 351W/4R70W/NWF Blackbox Titan/NP205 with a HP Dana 60 up front. Exhaust is JBA shorties to dual 2.5 into single 3” run down the passenger side through a Magnaflow muffler and single 3” dump over the rear 14B axle. Sounds awesome and actually runs better with that than it did with true duals.
I’ll add that I only have the equivalent of about 3” suspension lift since I have coilovers up front and have over 5” of uptravel. The 1350 front driveshaft clears the driver side crossover pipe at full stuff with room to spare. A good exhaust guy can work wonders.

Last edited:

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
The sanderson headers should work for what you want to do. I working on a setup with 351w with a c4 and high pinion 60. The 2 to 1 has been hard but is slowly coming together.