• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New flywheel for 5.0 swap?

65fordstang

Loc.
East Wenatchee, WA
I'm going to need to swap the flexplate for a flywheel on an Explorer 5.0 I'm picking up to bolt it up to a NP 435. Is there any thing special I need to know about getting one or can I just get any 50oz flywheel out of a junkyard or from summit?

Last edited:

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Variations on this issue have been a popular topic lately:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145065
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144735
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144704

For the record, and to be absolutely clear, the truck flywheel mentioned in some of those threads is a direct bolt-on swap for the stock EB flywheel, apart from a potentially different pressure plate bolt pattern (works with the diaphragm clutches on the market, may not work with the stock 3 finger Ford unit).

barronj

Bronco Guru
164 tooth if you want to run the EB starter.
Tom

Is the starter the only reason to run the 164 tooth?

Reason I ask is I just installed a 2000 model explorer 5.0, and re-used the flywheel from an older motor, only to find out it was improperly balanced.

I currently have a flywheel & a starter from a 90 model mustang... am I ok to use this combo w/ my exploder motor? stock 3 spd...

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

I currently have a flywheel & a starter from a 90 model mustang... am I ok to use this combo w/ my exploder motor? stock 3 spd...

Yes, the starter alignment is the primary reason to use the 164 tooth flywheel, and it's an important one. The 157 tooth flywheel from the Mustang will not work.

Todd Z.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Info from my NV3550 trans swap with a 1990 5.0 motor...

• I used a 164 tooth, 50 oz, 11 inch flywheel as I have a late model motor in my 77. I was told I could use a flywheel from an 87-91 F-series Truck with a 5.0. After I looked at a new one at NAPA (China), I elected to buy the one from WH which in made in the USA.
• I was told by my pressure plate supplier that the 76-78 trucks had a unique mounting bolt pattern for the pressure plate, most suppliers use a Chevy style bolt pattern which is more common. The WH flywheel was drilled for the unique pattern.

cougarmandan

Loc.
Bonanza, AR
I am looking to get a flywheel sometime in the next week or so for my Explorer motor project. I have an 81 302 that I thought would have the 50 oz flywheel, but it turns out that it has the original 68 Flywheel on it. Anyone have part numbers or good online sources to get the 164 tooth 50oz?

barronj

Bronco Guru
I emailed a few people who had them on Ebay, and Rock Auto had one for $75 (free shipping, I think?)

Here's their response to my inquiry about their ad:

Yes. ATP confirms it is a 164-tooth, 50oz imbalance for an 11" clutch.

If we may be of any further assistance, please call our customer service number listed below or just reply to this email.

Thank you,

Ralph
RockAuto Customer Service

phone: (608) 661-1376
fax: (608) 836-5694
toll-free: 1-866-ROCKAUTO (1-866-762-5288) http://www.rockauto.com

Broncobowsher

Total hack

Reason I ask is I just installed a 2000 model explorer 5.0, and re-used the flywheel from an older motor, only to find out it was improperly balanced.

Won't work. The '90 mustang has a 157 tooth flywheel. The bellhousing for the Bronco 3-speed spaces the starter out for a 164 tooth flywheel. When you hit the key the starter teeth will never reach the flywheel. You will just get to hear the starter spin freely.

Second problem is the '90 starter. Even though it is from a stick shift, it is still an auto starter. In the 80's Ford started commonizing starters in the car line. They changed the design of the car bellhousing and the auto starter (different pinion depth) was adapted for both auto and stick shift applications.

But you did get the balance right. After you roll start it down the hill it will be running smoothly.

barronj

Bronco Guru
I've pulled the brakes on that motor. It's running smooth, hoping to sell it complete.

Good info on the starter though, thanks for the in-depth explanation about application.

Now: 351+AFR 185's+E cam... still looking for an intake & carb...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
slight off topic, I have a 351 with c4 in the truck now, I'm going to a 5.0 using explorer front dress, EFI, and was hoping the 351 flexplate would work, any hope of this being true? Also, is the bellhousing 351 to a 5.0 the same?

barronj

Bronco Guru
If you're switching to an 81 or newer 302, the balance from the flexplate will be wrong. The bellhousing will work, but you'll need a 50oz flexplate, not a 28oz like you currently have.

I would guess that mid 80's to mid 90's F150's w/ auto trans should be the flex plate you're looking for, if there's a paralell btw the manual and auto applications for those trucks.

One of the gurus will chime in & tell you if I'm way off or not. Without a doubt, there's a check & balance for mis-information on this site.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks, i guess I'll figure it out when i pull the 351 to see what year flex is on the thing, I don't know right now, thanks again.

barronj

Bronco Guru
It's been my understanding that all 351's were balanced at 28oz, but the 302's started as 28oz & then switched to 50oz when Ford redesigned the crank shaft in the early 80's. Something along those lines anyway.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It's been my understanding that all 351's were balanced at 28oz, but the 302's started as 28oz & then switched to 50oz when Ford redesigned the crank shaft in the early 80's. Something along those lines anyway.

You are correct

cougarmandan

Loc.
Bonanza, AR
I was wondering if the Explorer flexplate worked on EB automatics too, although not something I was going to do. Anways, back to the topic, 5.0l Explorer Manual Transmission Flywheel in an early Bronco. ATP Z299 is 75 shipped to my house and they also have a have a Sachs NFW1128 for about $65 shipped. i searched the net and haven't found anything on how many teeth they have, but they both are the part numbers listed for an 87 F-150 with a 302 on rockauto. That's as cheap as anywhere. I am just waiting for a confirmation email that they are 164 tooth. I'm always skeptical abot cheap stuff. Does anyone have experience with these brands?

cougarmandan

Loc.
Bonanza, AR
Just to give an update. The local Oreily's carries Sachs NFW 1128 so I headed down yesterday to check it out It is the correct 164 tooth,14 inch flywheel. Rock Auto replied twice and didn't give me a whole lot of info except the ATP z299 is drilled for both 10 and 11 inch clutch and that the Sachs is if for 11 inch clutch. I forgot to look if its drilled for both, but it doesn't matter since there's very little price difference between the 2 sizes and 11 is correct (and better). And one little tidbit of less useful info, the Sach NFW 1129 is the older, (28 ounc) version 164 teeth flywheel for 11 inch clutch for 28 oz 302 and most 351 for someone wanting to replace a flywheel since its not listed under the 68 Bronco anways. Surprising how cheap this is so I hope it lasts. I picked up the Sachs NFW1128 for 65 with tax at the parts store, which was the same price as Rock auto with shipping. Do we have a rock auto discount code on this website?