• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new guy fighting the "might as wells"

cmd70

howdy folks

happy recent owner of a 69 bronco who has been studying these forums for awhile - GREAT stuff. my truck is original, pretty solid and uncut. runs and drives but needs some work-- which is where the dilemma starts....

currently rebuilding the steering column...I also plan to redo the brakes (they need it) and likely go with an upgrade all around. the other main item on the list is I also want to go with a small lift to get some bigger wheels/tires under there.

the plan was to do these things and get back on the road for the beach this summer ......

pretty sure everyone sees where this is going....

if im doing these things already --- does it make sense to just pull the body off and clean up the frame?

not sure if im trying to be talked out of it...or into it... just trying to get a gauge as to what other "might as wells" may pop up along the way.

thanks for any insight!

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Hello, I wouldn't remove the body from the frame unless you are prepared to replace and repair EVERYTHING, because that's what it will snowball into. I'd say if you want to drive it this summer, get it lifted/tires/brakes and safe and enjoy it for now...all those things will stay with the chassis anyway.

Welcome!

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I would fix what needs fixing to make the Bronco safe and fun so you can enjoy the ride. As you get to know your Bronco better and see what others do you can come up with a plan to build yours the way you want. It is easier and cheaper to change your mind on paper, then to decide to redo something on the build. Decide what you like and what you want. I like what the guy in the 60's and 70's would do. Some people like high tech and modern. Get some catalogs from the Bronco vendors and see what is available. Good luck

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I agree with the post above, especially if you're NOT having electrical problems. Not to say that you won't if you should pull the body, but electrical gremlins get old in a hurry.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I agree with the others. If you want to enjoy it now fix what has to be done and get back on the road. As was said , as soon as you remove the body it could end up years before you get everything done. The might as wells will get you faster than you think.
Good luck with your project!

Galt72

Contributor
I pulled the body off 5 yrs ago and 20k later it's still not road ready. %):mad:

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
All good advice. Break it up into small projects you can do in the winter, then drive and enjoy it in the summer. Making it safe is the best 1st step.
Been builing mine for 16 years... almost 1/2 done... :)

OP
OP
C

cmd70

Sounds unanimous-- thanks for all the replies.

That was the original plan but temptation started creeping in ... I appreciate the
feedback.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Break it up into small projects you can do in the winter, then drive and enjoy it in the summer. Making it safe is the best 1st step.
Been builing mine for 16 years... almost 1/2 done... :)

Same here. I bought mine 20 years ago and it sat for the first year while I made it safe to drive. After that it's been "winter projects".

It's not complete but getting there.

Tim

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I'll agree with the majority. I've had mine two years and it's never been off the road for more than a month. I plan my projects very carefully, get all the advise and opinions from this forum, gather my parts and dive in one project at a time.
I did a body lift one weekend, the suspension another weekend, motor swap and trans over three weekends. I have enjoyed the bronco all the way. The longest down time came for the paint job but still only for about a month to do that.
Unless you enjoy working on it more than driving it don't pull the body!! If you must you must but if it's not needed don't do it. Have fun with that Bronco!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 36

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Fix the steering, do the brakes and suspension and drive it. It'll give you more time to figure out what needs to be done and plan out what you want to do.

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Hello, I wouldn't remove the body from the frame unless you are prepared to replace and repair EVERYTHING, because that's what it will snowball into. I'd say if you want to drive it this summer, get it lifted/tires/brakes and safe and enjoy it for now...all those things will stay with the chassis anyway.

Welcome!

This. Don't go digging in there unless you and your wallet are 100% prepared for what you will find. It escalates quickly, and before you know it, you're not driving it for years, or decades.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gonna echo the others and add my welcome too there cmd. Welcome!

Check your body mounts though. If they're crushed much below the original 3/4" tall, you can clean up the frame a bit as you replace them. Lifting the body one side at a time keeps it manageable and lets your hands fit in there to scrape, sand and paint if you feel you need to. Rust repair on the other hand, is a completely different beast and should not be started unless you're ready to get deep into things.
Just remember, if you're lifting the body up enough to do any work other than to simply put the bushings in, you'll need to disconnect a lot of other stuff so you don't get yourself into a pickle.

In other words... What they all said!

Enjoy it.

Paul

OP
OP
C

cmd70

great stuff guys- appreciate it

gonna check out the body mounts too-- seems like a good idea

time to order some parts!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
First thing to do is get the whole thing steamed cleaned all underneath and under the hood. With the thing clean underneath it is so much easier to work on it without getting totally filthy and having crap falling in your face all the time. Brakes and steering do the whole system complete once then your good for 10 years instead of fixing it piecemeal for the rest of your life. Urethane suspension bushings have been a godsend to these trucks.

Never take the body off the frame unless you hate spending time with your Bronco. I'll be willing to bet more body offs have changed ownership between the time the body has been taken off and then put back together than those the stayed the course all the way through. Of those Id be willing to bet more than half have been parted out never to be reassembled as their original truck again.

74lumenaire

Loc.
Clarkston
DO NOT REMOVE THE BODY! I did and it was a huge mistake, shoulda fixed the problems the EB had and enjoyed driving it! BOTTOM LINE DO NOT REMOVE THE BODY!!

ransil

Bronco Guru
Rule #1
Never disable the Bronco longer than it takes for the current mod/ repair.
Even if you might need to partially move/ change/ removed or rework it later.

That Bronco will never see the light of day for the next 5 plus years.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ransils right, i should have never gone all in, i mean it will be nice when done, but that was 9 years ago when i started fixing my oil leak.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Rule #1
Never disable the Bronco longer than it takes for the current mod/ repair.
Even if you might need to partially move/ change/ removed or rework it later..

Ha ha, this is good advice.

I had everything running and decided to replace/fix the carpet:

That became:

-remove carpet
-spot treat surface rust & flaked paint on floors
-new body mounts because I didn't want to take the interior out again
-reupholster seats & clean repaint brackets
-new seat belts
-replace rear bumper (had to remove for body mounts)
-fix turn signal cancel switch
-new steering wheel (will have to wait, no repops!)

and so on...