• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Guy with dumb questions

75_Bronco

Loc.
Arlington, Tx
Hi I'm new to the forum and i just purchased a 1975 bronco. It's started giving me some trouble...<br>i drove it on the highway about 20 miles and when i started it up to come back home it stalled out. It took me forever to get it started and the choke working, but i got it back home ok. I have been driving it everyday since then doesnt stall in or around town, but the highway driving seems to take a toll on it. another thing is I just yesterday it wont shift out of first gear when i have it in drive... i have to drive it around in second because it seems like nothing is tellingl the transmission when to shift. I checked the governer rod that runs right next to the throttle, but it seems inntact (it has some play in it) here are some specs... any help would be GREATLY appreciated:<br>1975 Bronco <br>3spd automatic tranny<br>302 v8<br>holley 2barrel<br>eidlebrock intake<br>thanks for the help...<br>-Paul- ?:?

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
Hey, congratulations on your purchase! There are no stupid questions when it comes to these rigs, the broncoholics here like to discuss anything bronco. <br><br>These things tend to have some problems with engine compartment heat, it could be that you were vapor locking after being on the highway for a while. I have heard of guys rerouting their fuel lines away from the motor to cool them down. <br><br>My EB is kind of quirky, it has lots of little odd problems that you would associate with age. Just start at one end, and work your way to the other.<br><br>I wish I could assist on the tranny, but it is beyond my knowledge. One of the Bronco Gods will be able to help, I am sure of it.<br><br>Anyway, welcome; wear your belt and stay off the brake!

t2jeff

Loc.
Playa Del Rey, CA
thats all the problems you found so far? Thats great. At least you are driving yours. I bet lots of guys on here would love to just drive theirs around the block once. Congrats on the buy, I got a 75 also. Ask lots of questions here, its a great source for 411....<br><br>jeff

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
Welcome Aboard 75!<br>We will help you out,if we can,just ask.<br>This list is pretty cool that way,there are no stupid questions here.Pretty much any question you have,somebody can answer.We were all new guys once,I have learned a lot here.<br><br>As far as your engine troubles go,it does sound like vaporlock.The trans problem could be lots of things,have you checked the fluid?Not only for fill level,but check it for burnt smell,and color,it should be bright red,brown is a bad sign.

Trevor

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Welcome.<br>Driving around town is more than I did with my first couple of Broncos :)<br>Ask around for good local tranny shops then look for one that will diagnose problems for free. At least you'll know where you stand.

YellowBronc

Bronco God
Welcome Paul<br><br>I'm sure you'll love your purchase once you find and fix some of the querks these beasts have. <br><br>To begin with, I agree with checking some of the obvious. Check tranny fluid first! Next possible problem that comes to mind is the vacuum line that goes to the modulator valve on the transmission. The modulator is located on the rear passenger side of the transmission (next to the transmission oil pan). Check to see if that vacuum line has come off, deteriorated or is cracked and leaking. Probably have to follow it up to where it will connect to the carb vacuum port. If it's broken or has come off, this may explain the engine running like crap. You would would be sucking air in through the vacuum port the trannys attached to.<br><br>Hope this helps in your search for a fix.<br><br>

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I will agree on the vapor lock also and here is the cure . Go to any parts house and get a fuel filter that has one inlet and two outlets . Usually there is a large and a small outlet on these units . Hook up the filter in the usual manner and run a section of hose from the extra (smaller) outlet to one of the vapor lines going into the fuel tank . Problem solved ;)<br><br>The tranny problem is probably the vacuum modulator . they are easy to replace but I would be suspect of the vacuum line going to it . I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you have already checked the fluid and any other obvious things connected to the tranny . <br><br>Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the ride !!!!! Let us know what you find out and keep on postin'

OP
OP

75_Bronco

Loc.
Arlington, Tx
yeah heres some more info and thanks for the welcome!!! <br>just had the beast tuned (new distributor, wires, plugs, even new battery) and the carb has been rebuilt, the fuel line runs out of carb and elbows to the left away from the engine, it actually looks like it has been rerouted (im not sure) also the air intake for the carb (butterfly i think its called) gets stuck in an extreme open positionand i have to pull the throttle back to get it to close (maybe this is just from the bronco sitting for so long and lack of high speed highway use)<br>thanks again guys i really appreciate it!

OP
OP

75_Bronco

Loc.
Arlington, Tx
another thing, i chekced the tranny fluid, its red and the level seems good (good sign) one more thing when i go to put it four wheel, i put the trannny in neutral but i cant get the transfer case shift lever to move into 4 wheel low, or any gear, its really difficult, flush it maybe? something else? is there a trick to shifting the trnasfer case?

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Definitely sounds like vapor lock causing the engine problem. Another possibility, the choke may not be correctly adjusted and the older carbs were designed for you to press down on the accelerator pedal, then release before starting. Supposed to reset the linkage in there. (convert to EFI and never worry about it again)<br><br>Tranny problem sounds like vacuum line or modulator.<br><br>Transfer problem is pretty common. When they haven't been shifted into or out of 4WD for a while they don't seem to want to. Try shifting into 4WD while rolling slightly forward. Usually that'll work.<br>Joe

jcmessing

I just dealt with the vapor lock deal a month ago. First, before anything else, check to make sure that your fuel lines are not cracked, and are attached tightly. This was my problem all along. Second, and several guys on here will agree with this, an electronic fuel pump will help alot, with the doubl valves. Oh, and always have some carb cleaner in the truck. NExt time you have the problem on the freeway. Spray a bunch into the carb. It'll start alot easier than trying to choke it out.<br><br>I dont know about tranny's.<br><br>As far as the transfer case for the 4wd, it needs to be lubed up. But in the meantime, put the truck in 2wh or 4wh. If you slowly ease it into reverse it pulls the gears apart, and makes it easier to shift into the other modes. As you are backing up just shift over and it should slip into 4wd easily. THis has worked for me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It looks like you are getting good answers. Here are a few more. Mostly the same, but jst to reinforce what I think is going of.<br><br>Stalling on highway, change the fuel filter. I think it may be clogged.<br>Trans not shifting, vacuum modulator. should have manifold vacuum going to it. if you pull the hose off and trans fluid runs out, replace the modulator. sometimes the modulator will go bad, get fluid on the lines, cause them to swell and fall off.<br>to shift the transfer case, put the transmission in nuetral and shift quickly through nuetral. if you pause in nuetral, shut off the engine and complete the shift. What is happening is the input shaft will spin from the drag on the clutch packs in the transmission. This is completely normal for automatics. Another option is to shift into park before shifting the transfer case. when you shift to park, just don't let off the brake pedal. The parking pawl will keep the transfer case input shaft from rotating while you shift. Just remember that park will NOT work if the transfer case is in nuetral.

OP
OP

75_Bronco

Loc.
Arlington, Tx
guys your are awesome thanks for the help<br>the tranny problem ended up being the modulator hose ( reconnected it) and as far as the fuel lines, they look fine, i think im gonna insulate them somehow... you guys rock!!! keep up the good work!<br>Broncos Rule<br>- as far as the 4wd, i got it working and man does that 4w lo gear have power!!!

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
4wLO is what these puppies are made for.<br><br>Glad the trannie was simple, <br><br>Have a great time. Maybe taking the highways instead of the freeways would be more fun anyway ;D