• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Location for Hydroboost

OP
OP
B

Buddy's 70

I really like the concept! I might have to build something similar but, I think I'll use pillow block bearings and a matching shaft (can probably get them from the hvac guys at work;D ) and assemble it into one bolt on unit. The only problem that I can see with your design is, that if you ever have to replace that inboard heim, you'll have to cut one of the arms off as you have it trapped between the two of them. Is that the Astro Van m/c that you're using? Disc/disc or disc/drum brakes? Would a Corvette or Camaro(?) m/c give more hood clearence. Anyway great out of the box thinking!-------Hans

You're right, I will have to rework the shaft if I need to replace that heim,but I'm hoping that I'll never have to(it's wishfull thinking on my part,I know). That is an Astro Van hydroboost and mc from the local junkyard and I have disc/drum on my Bronco(that was on the Astro Van also). I've seen pics of the corvette mc and it does look like it has a lower profile and would fit easier under the hood,but I was trying to keep the cost down as much as possible and if I couldn't make the van mc work then I would have used the corvette mc. Thanks

Revelation

Bronco Guru
WOW and I worry about the gas tank all the way in the back just waiting for one of the little "ECO" to contact it, not to mention the 10 gallons of flammable liquid under my arse, with little more than a few thin pieces of sheetmetal protecting it.

But seriously, it is things like this that give a base for a mod. And no matter what the mod is, there is always room for improvement. Outside the box thinking is the fabric of life.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with the the fact that tig is cleaner an less chance of "Porosity"
and there is more to welds than tensile strength of filler rod.....been there done that,if tig was stronger every steel beams and posts in buildings and bridges, oil pipe lines, oil tanks, ships,truck frames and so on.... All I have left to say is that (We all think were pros at everything we do time to time ) ;) thats what makes all this forums cool :)

They probably would be if TIG was as fast, efficient, and conveneint as MIG or stick. All welding processes have their application, advantages and disadvantages. I'm not a "pro" or "expert" but I have been welding for over 40 years but have only had my own TIG machine for about 5 years. I've gas welded a couple of aircraft fuselages and TIG welded one that all had to be inspected and approved.

I have done a lot of research. I did spend a couple of my 16 years as an engineer at the Rocky Flats Plant developing welding processes for very high pressure vessels. Lots of distructive and nondestructive testing. And I have stayed as several Holiday Inn Expresses. So I stand by my statement that TIG is functionally stronger and more reliable weld.

I don't want anybody mislead by the statement MIG is just as strong of stronger that TIG when considering having critical components welded.

Your comment about a cold weld failing are valid. It is possible to put down a nice looking bead with MIG that did not penetrate the substrate. Something that is agrevated by trying to exceed the capacity of lower powered machines. That is one big advantage of TIG. You can really see the puddle and penetration you are getting as you weld.

That's my oppinion and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Buddy's 70

This welding thing is getting way too complicated, next time I'll just use a little JB Weld!;D %)

sandbuggy

"And I have stayed as several Holiday Inn Expresses" see im not a pro and I havent stayed at a "Holiday Inn Expresses"
GREAT QUOTE "DAVE" I about fell out of my chair laughing my ____ off
cool cool
JB weld , Do you have to use a "Chaulking Gun" with that? !!!!!!!
See we all can be pros
Sorry buddy for stiring the pot ....... see you all around the forum
hey dave are the broncos going to get better I WAS A BRONCO FAN till last
year....

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
sandbuggy;1491381Sorry buddy for stiring the pot ....... see you all around the forum hey dave are the broncos going to get better I WAS A BRONCO FAN till last year....[/QUOTE said:
NO worries! I don't expect much from the Donkeys next year. Just glad to see that Cutler turned out to be such an asset to Chicago. ;)

70_Steve

Old Guy
Probably too complicated for most garage builds, but maybe add a removable, splined end so the shaft can be disassembled....
Actually, I was thinking that it might work if it was just keyed. Should be simple enough to have done.

Buy a keyed collar and weld the arm to it. Then have a local machine shop mill a keyway in the shaft.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great idea! If I have problems down the road I'll check into that.

I would put end caps on that box and move the bearings to the ends of the shaft. Splining or a key would scare me a lot more than welding those arms on. You could also double up those arms with lighter material. One arm on each side of each pushrod with a pin. It would take the twisting moment out that a stub from the side would see.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I would put end caps on that box and move the bearings to the ends of the shaft. Splining or a key would scare me a lot more than welding those arms on. You could also double up those arms with lighter material. One arm on each side of each pushrod with a pin. It would take the twisting moment out that a stub from the side would see.

I wouldn't be scared by the splining (Have seen lots of manual clutches with clamping splined arms and that's WAY more torque than this setup would ever see), but I have to admit that I like the idea of outboard mounted bearings better than my idea. As long as there's clearance for the extra length I think that's the best low-tech solution.