• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Paint job

JReif27

I am new to this forum, but glad I found it. I have a 1975 Bronco that needs paint...the rear qtr panels probably need to be replaced as they have a lot of bondo on them already.
My question is what to expect to pay for a good paint job on a vehicle like this?

Thanks for your help,

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Depending on a few factors, the work required to have it ready for paint and body work swell as what kind of paint job do you want. For my shop it can range anywhere from 12K and up to paint one. You can go to an electrobake type shop if your budget is limited however you do get what you pay for. I am fixing 2 broncos that were done at the hands of a spray and go economy type shop, now the new owners of these 2 rigs are paying to have them corrected and made right.

bsquared

Contributor
Welcome to CB.com!
About 10 years ago the shop I use did mine for just over 2K and that was with them doing the labor to replace the pass front fender that I ordered from a vendor here.

Key to keeping that cost down was going single stage epoxy. Painter guy asked me if it will stay indoors and did I want it to look original and that answer was yes on both counts. Another major savor was me doing all of the interior / exterior removal of seats, bezels, badges and bling where all they had to do was prep and spray. It's not a perfect job, but pretty darn good and they did 2 colors of white (dash and bumpers were different shades) and the one color or 1970 Ford Reef Aqua.

I'm no paint expert, so those that know more about single vs double stage paints can add more advice about what to go with.

Good luck with your paint job and welcome to the addiction! Cheers, B2

I would expect the same job to be closer to 3.5K today.

Attachments

• LgBroncoWash.jpg
    LgBroncoWash.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Lg1stBronco1.jpg
    Lg1stBronco1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Lg1stBronco2.jpg
    Lg1stBronco2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 117
  • LgBigHill.jpg
    LgBigHill.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 128

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
You can figure $5K for a complete paint job using quality paint and minimal body work. With quarter panel replacement your going to add up quickly towards the $10-15K range and up depending on what you want. Used car quality, to full blown show quality, it all depends.

Find a hot rod shop or two and ask them. An insurance/production shop will do a complete, but they usually don't like to as they will actually loose money compared to banging out bumpers and fenders... And a production shop will likely work on your rig on the side, and when it's slow so be prepared to wait a long time.

On this paint job there's close to $2K just in paint and materials.

Attachments

• IMG_20130922_124156_316.jpg
    IMG_20130922_124156_316.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 91

HB73

This one cost me 5k with bodywork, rhino interior, engine bay and undercarriage painted. Took about a year to get done though.

36407a2bb4f4d38384f2a4f4ca4645cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Just for comparison, the duck is just under 3k in materials alone. My paint is not the top of the line but was over 350 a gallon, not including reducers, etc. epoxy primers were about 250 a gallon, clear was about 225 a gallon. This is for Wanda paint by Akzo Nobel/Sikkins which is rated above PPG for quality and finish but the Wanda is one step above their jobber line of paints and 2 steps above PPG's Omni line. Anyone doing a paint job for less than 5k is using cheap paint, specially when you factor decent material costs etc. sure they will look great out of the shop, they all do but give it a year or two and you will really start to see the difference. One of the Broncos I have in here right now, the paint on it is washing off near the filler neck from gasoline... You get what you pay for and materials really show that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JReif27

Thank you for all the responses.
Like many of you said material alone from the bids I have gotten are in the $350 range. The labor and paint job are in the $15-$20 range with one guy saying $60k just for paint (crazy).
I wonder if their are guys like you mentioned that do this in the side.
I live in Kansas City so if anyone knows it would be appreciated. Thanks. I'm already addicted to this forum.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
Welcome...I'm also in the metro area....a couple of guys in the area mentioned a shop down in Gardner KS. Hopefully they will chime in

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I only use PPG paint and its close to $800 a gallon! In paint you get what you pay for! I have more than $350 just in primer..... Cheap paint fails faster, has less pigments in it and it won't gave that deep look to it.

OP
OP
J

JReif27

Thank you for all the responses.
Like many of you said material alone from the bids I have gotten are in the $350 range. The labor and paint job are in the $15-$20 range with one guy saying $60k just for paint (crazy).
I wonder if their are guys like you mentioned that do this in the side.
I live in Kansas City so if anyone knows it would be appreciated. Thanks. I'm already addicted to this forum.

Sorry. The material alone is $3500 not $350.

ccbronco

As a body shop owner I will say you will get Mexico taco stand prices up to Ruth Criss Steakhouse a la carte. You may be able to enjoy a roadside taco and not have to spend a lot of time in the can. It is prep that makes the job. Decide who you are trying to impress. As a shop I have to do it to the nines. I have at least $2000 in materials, my cost. Hope to be running in a couple weeks. Almost 7 years later. Doh!