• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie Bronco VIN help and advice:

FoMoCoRotunda

Loc.
WA State
New to the site, but long time admirer of Broncos. I've been looking for a nice Bronco for a while and found what appears to be a decent '75 Ranger. I went to the vin decode sites linked from this site and have a question. What does "HD Package" mean? Heavy duty? How do I know if this has that package? The seller emailed me the vin # U15GLV#####. Also, how can I get more info regarding options, color, etc? Thanks for your help!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The HD packages increased the standard GVWR. The difference was in spring rates, tires, etc. An HD rear axle was included in some HD packages but it was also available without the HD package. Here is an example from '74-'75.

Attachments

• GVW.jpg
    GVW.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
F

FoMoCoRotunda

Loc.
WA State
The HD packages increased the standard GVWR. The difference was in spring rates, tires, etc. An HD rear axle was included in some HD packages but it was also available without the HD package. Here is an example from '74-'75.

OK, so all Bronco's except "Half Cabs" are called U-100 Wagons? Also, how can I know if this particular Bronco came with the HD package?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OK, so all Bronco's except "Half Cabs" are called U-100 Wagons? Also, how can I know if this particular Bronco came with the HD package?

U100 is the vehicle series.

U13=roadster
U14=half cab
U15=wagon

U150=standard GVWR wagon
U151, U152 or U153=HD GVWR wagon

U140=standard GVWR half cab
U141 or U142=HD GVWR half cab (I don't think there were any U143 half cabs because they were gone before that package was available.

Never heard of any HD roadsters.

Look at your VIN tag to find the U1XX stamped on it. Not in the VIN number.

Attachments

• IMG_4851.jpg
    IMG_4851.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
F

FoMoCoRotunda

Loc.
WA State
U100 is the vehicle series.

U13=roadster
U14=half cab
U15=wagon

U150=standard GVWR wagon
U151, U152 or U153=HD GVWR wagon

U140=standard GVWR half cab
U141 or U142=HD GVWR half cab (I don't think there were any U143 half cabs because they were gone before that package was available.

Never heard of any HD roadsters.

Look at your VIN tag to find the U1XX stamped on it. Not in the VIN number.

Got it! I'm going to look at the Bronco tomorrow morning. Thanks for the info. Is there anything special about a '75 Ranger?