• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie looking for a bronco.....

G

;D<br> Well I have had my fill of Landrovers so now I am onto bigger and better things... early Ford Broncos.<br> I am just in the early stages of researching all about the early Broncos such as the pros/cons, availability( in Canada),different types,costs of parts,etc. So I figured that this place would be the best place to ask what exactly should I look for when buying a Bronco? I know rust is a big thing with fords but any ideal engines,body styles(years) that are nicer than other years? I have a general idea of what was new each year starting from 66 on the fords and what was removed.( such as the folding winshield no longer added to 69 and newer)<br> Basically if you guys/gals can give me any insight into what you know and have learned that would be much appreciated.<br><br> Take it easy...<br><br> Jason<br><br> P.S. Whare are the best websites for buying parts as well.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
[quote author=roverlad link=board=5;threadid=13088;start=0#98327 date=1042081894]<br>such as the folding winshield no longer added to 69 and newer<br>[/quote]<br><br>Not totally corect, most broncos have the fold down windsheild. But after 69 they stop half the removable window frames....but not important. The "BEST" Broncos are the 76-77 302, power brakes, front disc, power steering. But of course all earlier broncos can be modified as such.

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
Welcome aboard! Check the links at the top of the page for places to get parts. You are on the right track. I bought my bronco first, then found this sight. BIG mistake. Knowing what I know because of this sit I never would have bought it. 76 and 77 are good for more modern conveniences like disk breaks. Body wise, they are all pretty much the same. Only 3 engines were available. The 6 cyl. 200, the v8 289 early on, and the 302 later. I don't want to tell you wrong, so I'll let the experts on this site give you all the good details. There are plenty of them here.<br><br>P.S. I have a 75 and my windshield folds down, so i think that was on all years.

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
The years with all the bells and whistles would 76-77,they came with power disc brakes , power steering and auto trans ,the 77's came with a heavy duty rear end...although with later years the horsepower suffers.....71.5-77 came with Dana44 frnt ends....<br>As far as Bronco parts I like Toms Bronco Parts in Medford,Oregon....B.C. Broncos in Southern CA has a great reputation on this board,I've yet to use them.<br>Good Luck :)

Dusty

Bronco Guru
All years had the fold down windshield. They just quit putting the hold-down bracket on the hood and windshield at a certain year (69?)<br><br>Welcome to the board. Lots of good folks and info here. I second the recommendation of BC Broncos.<br><br>Dusty

Nuke

I just bougt mine 2 months ago so I can tell you the mistakes I made even though I found this site in August. <br><br>Let me start off by saying I have no idea what the market is like in Canada. In the South, there are several teirs from my expereince.<br><br>Less then $3k.<br><br>Major rust and/or engine problems. I can't beleive the people I talked to who wanted $2500 for a rusted out EB with engine problems. Stay away unless you enjoy a challenge.<br><br>$3-$7k<br><br>This seems to be the best area. You will have a hard time finding one in near perfect condition is this price range, but they are there. The really good ones I saw in this price range were fairly stock. They might have a lift, some aftermarket bumpers, larger then stock tires, 351W engine, but you could still felt as though I was a 26-37 year old truck.<br><br>$7-$12k<br><br>These trucks were so cool. Subwoofers, new engines built at nation wide reputiable shops, phat transimissions, all the goodies. You will find some in this price range that belong in the previous. <br><br>+$12k<br><br>Never looked at one, but from what I can see on Ebay, most of these are just over priced. Not all, but most.<br><br>I didn't want to spend more then $5k. Then after spending some time on this board, I realized that after I bought it, I would probably find a lot of problems I didn't catch. This turned out to be true. I got my baby for $3200. There is some rust, the engine is solid, but I don't have too many thrills.<br><br>As far as rust goes, there are rust free EB's out there for sale, but I couldn't find one for under $5k in NC. Everyone is going to tell you find one with no rust. I agree, but you will be searching for a long time. Just don't be like me. I bought mine knowing of some rust problems, but found many more. Crawl all around that sucker.<br><br>Here are some websites that should help:<br><br>What to look for when buying a Bronco<br>BUYING YOUR FIRST BRONCO

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
As others have said - Welcome. You need to register, it just takes a minute and then you can be on your way to Bronco god (only 1000 posts ;)).<br><br><br>The first question you should ask yourself is what do you plan on doing with you EB? Since I plan on using my offroad here are some suggestions from my point of view.<br><br>I would stay in the 72 and later years for a few reasons.<br><br>As was mentioned the 71.5 and up have the stronger front axle (Dana 44 instead of the 30). <br><br>They will have a V8. <br><br>Power stearing became and option in '73 I think. <br><br>If you go with the last to years you will have disc brakes, power steering and a few other options. <br><br>Auto trany insteat of the 3spd on the column is something I would look for.<br><br>Rust is going to be an issue. Bring a flashligh even if it is day time. Don't just look for the obvious spots (doors, fenders, floorpans, etc.) look behind the dash - I found a lot of rust on my "rust free" EB behind the dash. If the rocker panels (under the door seal) has the diamond plate rock gaurds or any kind of rock gaurd then you may have some rust issues there. Door post, inner fenders, cowl (just under the back end of the hood). <br><br><br>Keep one thing in mind - you are looking at buying a vehicle that is between 26-37 years old. There are going to be problem, gotcha and things you will find after you get it home. If you are ok with that then set you budget, make a checklist and go on your EB hunt.<br><br>Have fun and Good luck.

Lonestar

Loc.
Austin, TX
I bought a 73 because...Power stearing was an option in 73, C4 Auto was available, D44 front end (avail in 71)... and a big plus 73 and later seem to be smog exempt in alot of states. <br><br>All of the above are easy add-ons just cost you $$$ <br><br>Disc Brakes 300-400<br>Auto Trany 300-???<br>Power Stearing 300-700 Depending on the route you take<br><br>My advise (take it or leave it) is don't worrie about the lift (you will probably end up swapping most of it out if it is blocks or an old Rancho). But look for a straight body with as little rust repair as poss. <br><br>Most Broncos tend to need some work in the floor pans. BEWARE of recently painted Bronco's that my be hiding a rusty body. <br><br>on the contrary if you are looking for a project and don't mind getting your hands dirty all of the sheetmetal can be replaced with aftermartet parts. <br>

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
All in all, just get one that isn't rusted to sh.t and you can hook up the rest later. If you are leaving the engine stock and want some power, get a 71. The years after that really had a lot less HP due to emissions. Good luck up there. You may be driving to the US to find what you want.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
No rust, rust free, find one with no rust :eek: they are out there but not very cheap. I live in the North East and you don't find rust free around here. Shoot , from what I read you don't find rust free in Arizona without looking. Get your check book out. I wanted rust free so bad I paid $2000 for a TUB. You may think :eek: $2000 , but I thought it was cheap ( fiberglass is $2500 and up ). You can build a good Bronco from a rusted one but you are sure to pay $2000 for parts and labor. Happy shopping !